View Single Post
Old 03-09-2002, 03:58 PM   #6
crazycuban
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
crazycuban is an unknown quantity at this point
Heh...

Kinda ironic to me...while the JDM crazy makes it trendy to get the SR, it also seems like its become the trend for a lot of people recently to trash the SR.

The point is, whether SR, CA, or KA, neither engine is better.  They all have their strong and weak points.  The power curve on the CA beats the shit out of the KA or SR power curve - that thing is PERFECTLY linear.  The KA beats either in terms of torque, and the strength of the block.  The SR beats either in that its the only one thats proven (not in the US, in the world) to be a true monster.

You can say all you want about the KA having more horsepower than the SR.  I really couldn't care less.  Formula 1 engine builders used 1.5 liter turbo engines to make over 1000 hp - would I put this in a street car?  Never.  The highest stock bodied KA car I've seen runs high 10's.  The highest stock bodied SR car I've seen runs 8's.  Civics with 650 hp run 9 second quarter miles.  Supras with near 1000 run 9 second quarter miles.

Same goes with the KA - wow, lots of low end torque.  Thats great.  With that much torque, why didn't Duy get a time better than the high 10's?  Hmmm...maybe that torque is useless on the street?  Maybe it only causes wheelspin with that much low end torque?  People talk about the KA being a much better "street" engine than the SR.  But if you're talking about high power, I'd rather have an engine that will build the power to the top than one that has all of its power down low.  Already when the torque hits on my SR the wheels break loose.

I didn't put in an SR because its "JDM".  I didn't pay 5000 bucks to get it installed.  You guys make pretty big generalizations.  I installed it myself, with help from friends, of course.  I paid a good deal of money, but that was because the engine I got.  If I would have done a red top, I could have had 200 rwhp (and actually, only ONE KA turbo kit claims to make over 200 rwhp - the others measure in crank hp) for 3500 bucks.  2000 for the engine, 1500 for an exhaust, boost controller, and intercooler.  

The SR is the engine for JDM ricers.

The KA is the engine for trendy people trying too hard to be different.