View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #252
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
Take the rubber dust boot off and look in there to see that it's on the ball and TOB. Could have easily been bumped during the install.
That's a good idea, I'll try that either tomorrow morning or Saturday. Better bring a flashlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
The generic brands they sell OTC are trash. I went through 2-3 slave cylinders because I was too cheap to buy the nismo one.. but Nopi.com carries OEM Tokico/Nabco slave cylinders which has been working fine for me for little over a year now (with a heavy duty pressure plate).
I was worried about that as well, so I went and took the new slave cylinder back off today. Then I went to three different parts stores on my way home from there (it's a long drive): Pep Boys, Autozone, and Advance Auto parts. I got them to let me see the slave cylinders for an S13 and S14 so I could compare the sizes. They were all exactly the same at all parts stores. Perhaps the Nismo one is higher quality, but I don't believe it would be a completely different size. I took these pictures to detail the problem while I was out there.

This picture shows the new slave cylinder on the KA I pulled. It lines up perfectly.

This shows how far away the new slave cylinder would have to be in order to line up straight with the fork.

And here is the old broken slave cylinder, showing the same huge (almost 1 inch) gap.

I don't know what to think. I tried moving the fork around today and it moves as I would expect it to. I can't push it in (towards the input shaft) because it's on the shaft inside (TOB to be exact) and I can't move it up or down because, once again, it's on the shaft. I can move it left slightly(towards the back of the car) but not right because of the pressure plate. It seems like that would be the normal use case. It also always went back to rest at the same place as well(as it should). I'll check it like S14DB said tomorrow or Saturday and if that's right, I don't know what I'll do. Just wing it? I don't like that idea. I'll be pulling the motor in that case...

I looked at the inside of my KA's bell-housing and everything is hooked up the exact same way I hooked up the inside of the SR so I feel comfortable I did it correctly. I will note that the slave cylinder was very tight onto the fork (as it should be) so it didn't seem like it would go anywhere but still... guess it's kind of a pick your poison scenario.

I'd rather pull the engine than risk it really.