Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-14-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ITB's + GT32 = Fun!

So some of you already know, but I've been building a turbo setup for the past few months.

Started it up for the first time last night, did a bit of idle smoothing today until my turbo started blowing oil into the exhaust. I'll pick up a pressure reducer tomorrow for my turbo feed line. Turbo is an AMS GT32 and i'm controlling it all with a Haltech E8 (which most of you already know).

Enough talking, more pics:

turbonetics mani and wastegate:

ITB's used to be attached to the intake mani like so:

They're now attached like so. Close up of new plenum too:

Inside of the plenum looks like this:

AMS GT32:

Downpipe:

wastegate dump tube: (I've since gotten much better at welding)

Downpipe and wastegate dump from below:

lots of BMC clearance:

Gauges:

Rest of the cockpit:

Intercooler setup:

The whole shindig:

I'm dyno tuning it this week to get ready for an event next weekend. So I'll post up a dyno chart or two once I get that done. Even untuned it's still really responsive, like when it was n/a, but now it'll actually make some power. I'm not sure how much boost I'm gonna run yet, but the initial tune will prolly be for about 8psi. Then after the event next week I'll probably go back in and we can tune it up to maybe 1 bar or so. We'll see.

cheers
Old 05-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #2
Team Rootbeer
Zilvia Addict

Team Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really niceTeam Rootbeer is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Team Rootbeer
NICE! man, that is sick.......i wanna see the charts! hurry up!

iirc, your using gsx-r throttle bodies right? anywho awsome job on the fab, and the setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodv
90% of the cars posted here are stock or with original rims painted black
I'm not an asshole but is the true..
Team Rootbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
thats sick, nice work. anything done to the internals?
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:26 PM   #4
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice work. Can't wait to see the dyno. Any reason for the really small intercooler?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #5
m0rex
Zilvia FREAK!

m0rex is on a distinguished road
Thats f'ing sick. Mad props.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
luckyrb13
Leaky Injector

luckyrb13 is making a name for him/her selfluckyrb13 is making a name for him/her selfluckyrb13 is making a name for him/her self
That looks beautiful. Id love t osee that set up in person.Iam also in the bay Area. Are you going to go to the altamont event?
Old 05-14-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
SpeedMonkeyInc
Zilvia FREAK!

SpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedMonkeyInc has a reputation beyond repute
Rock. Settled on a target boost level yet?
SpeedMonkeyInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
thats fucking nuts!!!! i want!

dyno?
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:50 PM   #9
alexchanman
Zilvia Junkie

alexchanman is making a name for him/her selfalexchanman is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to alexchanman
crazy setup man but that welding is suspect.
alexchanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #10
that180guy
Zilvia Addict

that180guy is making a name for him/her selfthat180guy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to that180guy
looks lik you got real nice clearance with the bmc. is it because of the way u welded the dp? turbo or the manifold?

Part of the Elite Shasta Speed Stars
RIP......05-09-03....*sniff sniff
the beast nears completion.....

YOU LOOK AND U BUY STUFF !!!!!
that180guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #11
TurDz
Nissanaholic!

TurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the roughTurDz is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to TurDz
Did you get your rear solid endlinks installed?
Old 05-14-2006, 10:48 PM   #12
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

RBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura aboutRBS14 has a spectacular aura about
Yeah, I'm using gsxr throttle bodies.

Stock internals still save for JWT cams.

Small intercooler because it will still cool efficently up to about 400hp. Any bigger just increases lag.

I'll be at the June 15th altamont event.

I think 8psi to start with then after the event this weekend I'll tune it up to about 1 bar and see how it is. I probably won't run it at that yet, just tune it to that so I can up it whenever I want.

All the TIG welding (aluminum) is beautiful, but the MIG stuff I did is not so great. But I made and tacked together the dp, and a friend welded it up so it's all good and nice. Only ugly stuff is the wastegate dump.

The BMC clearance is because of the mani primarily and the way I made the DP.

haha No I haven't done the rear endlinks yet. I've been spending too much time on the turbo shit. I'll do it soon. Back to suspension setup now.

Cheers
Old 05-14-2006, 10:57 PM   #13
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
whatever happened to "NA Monsters Only"??

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
nice welds jackass haha
then again icant do any better.shutup
looks good

and john says your a biter.
queer!
come drive come visit. im lonely scooter.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:08 PM   #15
250sxdet
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
250sxdet will become famous soon enough250sxdet will become famous soon enough250sxdet will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
damn that looks sick. nice job dude.
250sxdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #16
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

hahahaha

Tell john I'll bite him.
Are you going to the Industry day? Not to drive obviously but maybe hang out? You should. I'll be there. And Baby and Linda too right? I'll make you feel all warm and fuzzy, I promise.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #17
L1ama
BANNED

L1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-knownL1ama is making his/her stupidity well-known
You're insane
L1ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to chibo
This might sound stupid, but how do ITBs help if they share a common plenum?
chibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #19
RBS14
Nissanaholic!

well the plenum is before the TB's so there is no lag between when the TB opens and when the air hits the engine. And the plenum I made flows about 10983572394578 times better than stock. The TB's also equalize pressure so you don't get any cylinders going lean like on stock plenum stuff.

"n/a monsters only". I don't have the $$ to get enough power N/A. And I'm a poser.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:34 PM   #20
NemeGuero
No more nissan.

Trader Rating: (10)
NemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfectionNemeGuero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to NemeGuero
They can suck in larger volumes of air. Like they do on bikes and other ITB applications..

They'll most always have an "air box" that supplies air from elsewhere to the ITBs.

I saw this on Ka-T a few days ago.. man I wanna feel what it pulls like..
looks really good man.
Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM   #21
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

chibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfectionchibo is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBS14
well the plenum is before the TB's so there is no lag between when the TB opens and when the air hits the engine. And the plenum I made flows about 10983572394578 times better than stock. The TB's also equalize pressure so you don't get any cylinders going lean like on stock plenum stuff.

"n/a monsters only". I don't have the $$ to get enough power N/A. And I'm a poser.
Interesting, I don't want to waste your time asking dumb questions so do you know of a good place to read up on ITB turbo applications?
The equalizing pressure makes sense to me but I can't visualize how it accomplishes it for the life of me

vvv good idea, corky bell... I've been meaning to get his book.

Last edited by chibo; 05-15-2006 at 12:10 AM..
Old 05-15-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Corky Bell?
Google?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:20 AM   #23
Pank
Post Whore!

Pank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfectionPank is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by chibo
This might sound stupid, but how do ITBs help if they share a common plenum?
the stock rb26dett uses a set of ITB's in a plenum.

zenki s14---v8 fc rx7
my crappy flickr page (drift cars whoo)
Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:24 AM   #24
chibo
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pank
the stock rb26dett uses a set of ITB's in a plenum.
I wasn't trying to bash the setup, I was just interested. I know it's been done, the E46 M3 also shares a common plenum with ITBs, as does the E60 M5. I'll also attest to the fact that they sound orgasmic.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #25
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
if your going scooter, illl FOR SURE GO!
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:32 AM   #26
CaoBoY
Zilvia Addict

CaoBoY is making a name for him/her selfCaoBoY is making a name for him/her self
nissan R34 Z-tune special edition. ITB's and a monster motor. BAM. nuff said.
OP-good shit. ITB's are awesome, and so is turbo...best of both worlds. now it should be called "panda-na+turbo=sexygirls and lots of money "
CaoBoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 01:02 AM   #27
Ricks15
Nissanaholic!

Ricks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud ofRicks15 has much to be proud of
Good shit
Old 05-15-2006, 01:41 AM   #28
EchoOfSilence
Nissanaholic!

EchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant futureEchoOfSilence has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to EchoOfSilence
You bastard. It looks beautiful... But i still don't understand why the velocity stacks go sa far into the plenum. Are you still in Santa Cruz? I'd love to see these in person

PS: bilingual oil filters make me nervous
Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 AM   #29
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Nice setup.

Grinder and Wire Wheel makes crappy welds look nice. But, it looks like you ceramic coated already.
Old 05-15-2006, 02:07 AM   #30
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
scooterpants - looks like there's some badassery afoot! Can't wait to see what fun this setup is capable of.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote