Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
S13 SR Turbo Coolant Return (please read and comment)

Problem:

Okay, here's the problem. The stock S13 SR20DET turbo coolant return line is routed to the back of the motor at the factory. When the motor is already installed in the car, it is very difficult to get back there since there is very little clearance. Plus there will be additional chances of damaging the hose fittings back there, which would be very difficult to repair.

This picture shows the return hose. Note where the braided line goes. It's very hard to get to that fitting without having to pull out a lot of wiring and hoses.

I checked with a few sources on how to re-route that line, and I wasn't very happy with what I found.

Solution 1:

Install a new line and fittings/clamps when you prep the motor out of the car prior to installation. This is definitely the best way if you still have the motor out. Not good if it's already in.

Solution 2:

Install a water outlet from an S14 or newer SR20DET. Nissan addressed this problem in the newer generation motor by tapping the water outlet for the return line. You can see the new water outlet below, and the full write-up is here: http://www.sr20tuning.com/fittingaturbo.html

This part is very hard to find. I already tried calling all the local shops. Then I started contacting major Nissan parts supplier, and nobody can get a hold of one. If you're lucky, you'll find a blown S14 motor and you can pick it off, but I wasn't so lucky.

Solution 3:

Fabricate a tap with the stock water outlet. This could work, but it's also very difficult to source a stock S13 water outlet so I could not risk the machine shop damaging the part.

Solution 4:

Blitz makes a silicone upper radiator hose for the SR. It comes with a bung meant for the water temperature probe. I imagine you could insert a hose fitting and tap it for the water return line. The cost is around $120 shipped.

Solution 5:

I got in touch with a vendor over on SR20Forum. He manufactures custom water outlet adapter plates (amongst other things) that has fittings for a coolant return line. He doesn't have any RWD application at the moment, but I've been corresponding with him to try to help him develop some adapters and bring them to market. Cost will be around $40. His site is under development: http://www.customsteel.com/sr20/

So right now I've put the words out on #3 so that's out of my hands. A couple of shops are looking for me but chances are slim. I'm going to look more into #4, and he's working on #5.

If anybody has a good solution to this, please post up. Thanks for your time.
g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links