Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-13-2005, 09:06 AM   #1
swiftsytles

Trader Rating: (0)
swiftsytles is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my shifter rocks violently, just changed trans mount too?

Sup, bought the car couple months ago with the shifter rocking like a bobble head. Especially when I go over ruff areas on the freeway. Well Inspected my trans mount ant it was shot. I replaced it yesterday thinking it would fix the problem but it didnt. It still rocks like mad. Is there some kind of shifter bushing needed to replace for it to not move or is this normal on 240s?
swiftsytles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
There a plastic bushing on the end of the shifter that goes into the tranny, might wanna pull that out an check it.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
Crazy shaking like that makes me think that the engine mounts are shot to hell, causing the engine to twist excessively. even with new tranny mounts, bad engine mounts will cause a lot of shaking. Check the easy fixes first though with the shifter bushing.

If its the engine mounts, Kazama makes a solid engine mount, but you'd probably have to wait awhile cuz it's special order only

http://www.more-japan.com/xcart/cata...t-p-16248.html
'90 240SX Hatch

'89 240SX Coupe [dead]
'91 Geo Storm [dead]
'86 FC3S GXL [gone]
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
If its the engine mounts, Kazama makes a solid engine mount, but you'd probably have to wait awhile cuz it's special order only

http://www.more-japan.com/xcart/cata...t-p-16248.html
Or you can fill them window weld urethane with a caulking gun.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
jOeHaCk98
Zilvia Addict

jOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her selfjOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her self
Doesnt he want LESS shaking. OE
jOeHaCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
MikeFD3S
Zilvia Member

MikeFD3S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MikeFD3S
he said he wanted less shaking of the shifter he didnt say if he minded a vibrating chassis hehe

theres a lot of weird things to stop the shifter from shaking on the 240. It's probably the only car i've ever seen that has that much play and motion of the shifter. it's almost phallic
'90 240SX Hatch

'89 240SX Coupe [dead]
'91 Geo Storm [dead]
'86 FC3S GXL [gone]
MikeFD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:35 PM   #7
swiftstyles
Leaky Injector

swiftstyles is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFD3S
theres a lot of weird things to stop the shifter from shaking on the 240. It's probably the only car i've ever seen that has that much play and motion of the shifter. it's almost phallic

Yea im gonna check out my motor mounts, any tips on ways to tell if the motor mounts are shot?
swiftstyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:23 AM   #8
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
While stopped with foot on brake put car in 3rd gear and let out clutch until it catches. Have a friend look at the engine and see if it lifts excessively.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
lilredstiffy
Zilvia Addict

lilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to alllilredstiffy is a name known to all
Send a message via ICQ to lilredstiffy Send a message via AIM to lilredstiffy
Its pretty easy to just jack up the engine by the tranny bellhousing at the front and take a look at how the mounts look. Blown mounts will look very torn up.
lilredstiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:04 PM   #10
2JZGTE
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute2JZGTE has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 2JZGTE Send a message via MSN to 2JZGTE
You can also just grab onto the intake mani runners and try your hardest to move the engine back and forth. My oem engine mounts allowed a little movement. I installed nismo engine and tranny mounts, and now I can't get any sort of movement from the engine by grabbing onto it and shaking. Good luck.

R35 GT-R, R32 GT-R, Supra, S13, S14, FD3S
2JZGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:11 PM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
yet another way to check: open the hood and have a buddy stand in front of the car. start the car. if the mounts are shot the motor will flop back and forth like it wants to jump out of the car during start up.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
swiftsytles

swiftsytles is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
yet another way to check: open the hood and have a buddy stand in front of the car. start the car. if the mounts are shot the motor will flop back and forth like it wants to jump out of the car during start up.
will bad motor mounts cause a clunking noise cuz I hear it when I come to a stop in the front area?
swiftsytles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM   #13
sil80drifter
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
sil80drifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
perhaps, but it'd be a good idea to check your tie rods, tension rods, and sway bar links/bushings. when suspensions parts wear down they tend to excessively move/make noise under hard acceleration'braking.

sil80
sil80drifter is offline   Reply With Quote