Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #1
Canaduh
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Canaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Car alarm reviews.

I've searched around, and came up wtih the reason there probably isn't much of a car alarm review post is probably because new ones come out pretty often.

Anyways, I'm looking around for an alarm, and didn't find any real thread where people gave their opinions on their alarms. I know i could search google to find out, but i'd rather hear it from people with the same cars as i.

Faults and plus' would be awesome along with the alarm you use.
Canaduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #2
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
we own 240's that are old no one has an alarm
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #3
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
lol theres no alarm review thread on zilvia because no one has an alarm lol everyone would rather spend their money on super jdm parts cause i mean hey you can always post another "OMFG MY 240 got stolen" thread cause a bunch of zilivians on the look out is just as efficient if not better than lowjack
eastcoastS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
myriad
Leaky Injector

myriad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to myriad
I have a Viper 771 2-Way. Its awesome, I know there are some newer ones out there but this one suffices my needs - has a nice little remote that tells me if anyone has set the alarm off and, needless to say, the alarm is rather loud. The only down side is the remote is a battery whore and if your battery dies, your are kinda locked out of your car because you will set your alarm off by unlocking it the conventional way (key in door.)

Just my .02
Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
bigOdom1
Nissanaholic!

bigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfectionbigOdom1 is close to perfection
keep a spare battery in your wallet
bigOdom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
myriad
Leaky Injector

myriad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to myriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigodom1
keep a spare battery in your wallet
You'd think that would be a good idea
Old 04-05-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
Canaduh
Zilvia Member

Canaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of lightCanaduh is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastS14
lol theres no alarm review thread on zilvia because no one has an alarm lol everyone would rather spend their money on super jdm parts cause i mean hey you can always post another "OMFG MY 240 got stolen" thread cause a bunch of zilivians on the look out is just as efficient if not better than lowjack
I was getting sick of seeing all the stolen car threads, and decided, why not spend the couple hundred to get an alarm to protect the thousands i have in it, and plan to put in.

"won't happen to me, i'll buy soemthing else with the money"
I don't wanna take the chance.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
fatony

fatony is an unknown quantity at this point
when i get my car, i'm gonna install an alarm asap~ but now that i know that the viper one hogs battery life and can lock you out.. i guess i have to find another one.. any more suggestions guys?
fatony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #9
origin_s135
Zilvia FREAK!

origin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfectionorigin_s135 is close to perfection
i have the clifford rsx 3.5, it's a cool alarm, it's 2-way, i get to warm up my car while i'm inside the house sleeping for another 10 minutes, has a turbo timer included, but the only thing i hate about it is that when you leave the car the hazards will go on until the car shuts off. oh i also have a quick release and a quick lock. : )
Old 04-05-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
djp.
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

djp. can only hope to improve
i got the 500 vx viper alarm, it pretty good is has the gay little auto start (birthday present not my idea) it took them a long ass time to install it, they had to by pass a lot of things, it has good range like 220 yds,its not a super long range but its long enough, and you can adjust the sensibility, and loudness of the alarm, i think it was like 300 dollars, yup
djp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:18 PM   #11
KA-T_240
Nissanaholic!

KA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond reputeKA-T_240 has a reputation beyond repute
I have the compustar 2way. and then for good messures, Tint, and some other stuff.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Canaduh
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatony
when i get my car, i'm gonna install an alarm asap~ but now that i know that the viper one hogs battery life and can lock you out.. i guess i have to find another one.. any more suggestions guys?
Exact reasons i wanted to make this thread. Personally, i don't want to buy an alarm where the remote battery gets drained super fast, and i'd like to get a car starter as well, since i live in canada, and don't like running out to the car in winter to start it. I'm definately going to look into the Clifford alarms from what i've heard so far.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #13
Gaelen
Zilvia Member

Gaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfectionGaelen is close to perfection
i used to have some shitty ugho thing of an alarm...did the job...when paired with me taking my steering wheel with me
Old 04-05-2007, 03:57 PM   #14
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I HATE anything made my DEI. That's almost all of em now (Viper, Clifford, etc) because although the alarm brains are good, the remotes are shitty (battery hogs + very expensive to replace).

I use a Schosche (made by compustar) 2 way, their most expensive model, with remote start/turbo timer/etc. I don't use the remote start feature, mostly because I like to leave the car in gear, but I use the turbo timer. The range is better than any DEI I've seen (tested by the "hey man, we parked next to each other, lets see if your alarm still works", "ok, now back up" method), and I picked it up from my local hookup for less than $300... had to install myself though. Installed it goes for >$600.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:47 PM   #15
Canaduh
Zilvia Member

I want soemthing with a good sensor to know if the cars being hoisted, or jacked up. Worst thing would be to find my baby on blocks
Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #16
Clearalbino
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
Clearalbino will become famous soon enoughClearalbino will become famous soon enoughClearalbino will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Those are additional sensors that you would have to purchase on top of the alarm, for instance a tilt sensor would be good for your needs.
Clearalbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #17
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
these alarms that have turbo timers, is there a way to disable them? they dont automatically go on do they?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:00 PM   #18
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Automate-Only to be used on new to 5 year old cars. It has a turbo timer aswell
Old 04-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #19
PhilthyS13
Zilvia Junkie

PhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfectionPhilthyS13 is close to perfection
+1 on the Clifford RSX 3.5. It wakes me up when it goes off, but I'm a light sleeper. I get those energizer lithiums and they last. You can make it so the alarm doesn't light up, which saves battery juice.

I think the 50.5 goes up to a mile.
PhilthyS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #20
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i forgot the exact model name, but I have something along the lines of a Viper 5000. only the transponder has 1 mile sensor. I can tell a couple blocks away if my alarm goes off. i also have a lift sensor, proximity sensor, and shock sensor installed. I also have a hood latch lock, plus a few other goodies id rather not disclose.

the only thing i don't care about my alarm is that i could not get the turbo timer function to work. well, Id think a turbo timer would not be compatible with a kill switch anyways, but i'm not sure. the remote start is nice, put pointless if you have a fuel cut kill switch(s). as far as battery consumption, the transponder eats up a single duracell AA in about a month, which i consider reasonable.

i really like it overall. for the alarm cost me around $250 shipped by itself. the extra sensors and other parts were another $150 or so. I suck at working on cars, so i had someone perform the labor for another $300 or so. some ppl may consider this too much, but i've had another car stolen before and so i'm a bit more cautious.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #21
jspecusa
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
jspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfectionjspecusa is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jspecusa
a good alarm is one that's done by a professional with clean wiring and not taping power off anywhere under the dash.
also make sure it's got start kill that's what matter the most.
another good way to look for a good alarm is to make sure they will be around to warranty the work.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:12 PM   #22
laxplaya8513
Zilvia Member

laxplaya8513 is on a distinguished road
Compustar is a good unit, they have a neutral safety switch also so you can install remote start w/ standards. otherwise the range is crazy, the battery consumption is moderate... 2-way systems regardless of the company will be battery hogs
laxplaya8513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #23
BOROSUN
Post Whore!

BOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfectionBOROSUN is close to perfection
just get one of these. out-dated , but still effective.
BOROSUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #24
05civse
Leaky Injector

05civse is making a name for him/her self05civse is making a name for him/her self
I have a prostar gold by A-1 tech (they are big in japan, mexico, and europe). awesome 3d display on 2-way remote (the remote battery is rechargeable and uses a supplied cig. lighter charger, so no battery running dead!)
05civse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #25
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
where u get that? hows the range?
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #26
laxplaya8513
Zilvia Member

laxplaya8513 is on a distinguished road
i think this is the best security system for cars though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee3L9BQQ4Gs
laxplaya8513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:35 PM   #27
DrtyRat
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (9)
DrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfectionDrtyRat is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaduh
Exact reasons i wanted to make this thread. Personally, i don't want to buy an alarm where the remote battery gets drained super fast, and i'd like to get a car starter as well, since i live in canada, and don't like running out to the car in winter to start it. I'm definately going to look into the Clifford alarms from what i've heard so far.
It's not like you go out to your car, try to disarm it and hope that the battery isn't dead. Just like a cell phone it has a battery indicator to show when its getting low. I had a Viper791xv on my s14 and I had no complaints w/it. It did what I expected it to do. I got it for 200 shipped off of ebay and paid 150 to have it installed. You say you don't want to worry about buying a battery every month but you have thousands of $'s in mod's done to your car....so what's a few extra bucks a month gonna hurt. As far an extra battery goes, I used to keep my spare in the car, that way if I wasn't paying attention to the indicator, I could just open the car, take out the spare and be done.

Quote:
America... Too soft to place a killer in a well deserved tomb, But brave enough to kill a baby before he leaves the womb
DrtyRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #28
95Kouki
Zilvia Member

95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough
first off for Origin S135

Open a door.
2. Ignition. Turn the ignition on, then back off.
3. Select a Menu. Press and HOLD the Valet/Program switch. After three seconds the siren will chirp once indicating
entry to the Basic Features Menu...

hold the valet button until the siren produces three chirps....

push the valet switch 4 times and Push and HOLD....siren will chirp

push the unlock and voila....no more flashing parking when remote started...

and As for alarms...alarms are a mere deterent...get the best that you think is necessary and have it installed buy a reputable installer... i myself have been doin mobile electronics for the last 6 years professionally and doin it as a hobby since i was ten...i've installed close to a thousand alarms in everything from a run of the mil civic to ferrari and lambos...i've built close to CES and SEMA cars...they have basic alarms in them....think of it this way how much is a piece of mind??? Alarms are fuckin dirt cheap for what they do...basic alarms cost more to put in then the alarm itself...Installation is key....so get it done right
Old 04-06-2007, 01:01 AM   #29
Gumballf355
Zilvia Addict

Gumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to beholdGumballf355 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Gumballf355
Clifford IQ Series... awsome.
Gumballf355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #30
95Kouki
Zilvia Member

95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough95Kouki is a jewel in the rough
IQ is oldschool...still works...very unreliable and a bitch to reprogram if you kill a transmitter...again to each their own