Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat

Off Topic Chat All non related chat goes here.

Old 12-12-2004, 03:56 PM   #1
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rant/Facts on SUVs

Alright Zilvians... I know most of you harbor negative feelings against SUVs, and I'm writing an argument paper that has to get "published" out into the world. Therefore, read my paper and let me know if I forgot anything or have any fallacies. Also, if you know anyone who drives and SUV, talk to them about this and see what they think. I'd prefer this not turn into a flaming contest. Thanks in advance. This is a relatively rough version and, with your help, I plan to have a good one to turn in on Tuesday.

Anyone can see the positive aspects of sport-utility vehicles. They’re great for families of six or more. They have more vertical cargo capacity, sometimes more overall cargo capacity. (Although, due to their larger wheels and tires, most are about equal with station wagons due to cargo area intrusion.) SUVs have a higher towing capacity due to truck chassis and more torquey engines than station wagons, for the most part. For the truly upwardly-mobile families, the truck-based SUVs offer decent-to-good off-road capabilities due to more ground clearance, more suspension articulation, and better underbody shielding. I suppose SUVs offer better visibility because occupants are higher off the road and the frontal visual opening is larger, although that one is debatable. Being high from the ground isn’t necessarily a welcome characteristic, though.

In 2003, there was an 11 percent increase in SUV crash deaths. There were 456 more deaths in SUVs than cars; more than half of above deaths were from rollovers. 22% of all auto deaths were from rollovers, compared with 62 percent of all SUV deaths. Last year, SUV rollover fatalities increased from 2448 to 2701, a 10 percent increase. Cars and pickups both saw a drop in the number of fatalities, 7.5 percent and 6.8 percent respectively, but both SUVs and vans saw an increased fatality rate of 6.8 percent and 3.6 percent in vans. Those are startling statistics, though the increase in SUV fatalities is linked somewhat to their increased sales. The worst statistic of all is the occupant fatality in rollovers, which is an astonishing 35.2 percent. More than a third of all rollovers result in death, which is both horrible and amazing. That SUV manufacturers have not addressed the issue of a too-weak body cage is disgusting. These numbers are too big to ignore, yet the manufacturers do just that. I doubt they care, as long as Joe Public thinks that because his SUV weighs over two tons, he’s safe.

SUVs are not only dangerous to their occupants, they’re dangerous to the cars with which they share the road. The difference between the average weight of passenger cars and light trucks (the category under which SUVs are grouped) is 1,185 pounds. Over half a ton more weight can do indescribable damage to a subcompact or a sports car. Also, the average SUV’s bumper is 8 inches higher than a car’s, meaning a higher point of impact in an area not designed to absorb such high forces. Because of this, 80 percent of deaths in an impact between an SUV and car are occupants of the car. In a side impact collision, the occupants of a car are 27 times more likely to die if struck by an SUV than a car striking an SUV. SUVs, due to their higher fatality rates and the increased destruction caused by them to cars, raise prices of insurance for everyone as well. They are a bane on our population and should be moderated.

SUVs also damage the environment. Their larger, normally less-sophisticated engines slurp more gas. This increased gas usage translates to higher CO, NOx, and HC output, to the obvious detriment of the atmosphere. (LA, anyone?) Maybe dealerships should institute a “buy an SUV, buy two acres of forest” program to help clean the air. SUVs are also models of material excess; to build a vehicle of that size would obviously require more steel, plastic, leather, glass, et cetera than a passenger car, depleting natural resources and increasing intrusion on nature. SUVs, the ones that actually see the flora and fauna off the beaten path, are also damaging to their surroundings. With their lugged tires and portly weight, SUVs tear up plants and destroy animals’ homes.

Americans and, increasingly, people from other countries are living lives of excess. The popularity of the SUV is proof. Some people buy big SUVs though they have but one kid and live in the suburbs, simply because they’re now a status symbol. They’re too big, too bling, and use too much gas. (Remember that we only have about a 40 year supply… at the current rate of consumption!) The new official vehicle of the modern yuppies is the SUV. With twenty-inch wheels and tinted windows, one becomes like a rock star or rapper. Had it even occurred to them (and any of you considering an SUV because it’s big or bling or your neighbor has one or Arnold has one or the commercial has that band you liked back in the Seventies) that they’re increasing our dependence on foreign oil or reducing the amount of time researchers have to come up with a viable alternative to fossil fuels? Extremely doubtful. How about this statistic: 5 percent. 5 percent is the percentage of SUV owners who actually take their SUVs off the road. All the rest just ferry around their 1.2 kids while basking in the fact that their point of view is higher than those in cars. Also, the number of SUV drivers who subconsciously exceed the speed limit is quite high, due to the fact that being higher from the ground leads to a lessened sense of speed. A bunch of speeding SUV drivers on their cell phones should be used in the Army; their destructive power would be devastating.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #2
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is this a formal essay? or what? I would work on the wording. Doesn't sound professional.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Is this a formal essay? or what? I would work on the wording. Doesn't sound professional.
+1

www.fuh2.com
Old 12-12-2004, 08:30 PM   #4
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
I dont know if I would start out the first paragraph speaking positively on something that you are about to bash for an entire essay,

" I suppose SUVs offer better visibility because occupants are higher off the road and the frontal visual opening is larger, although that one is debatable. Being high from the ground isn’t necessarily a welcome characteristic, though." also if you were to change this statement to more closely resemble a fact instead of an oppinion then it will have more impact. and I would omit the "though" at the end,

it is a rather late for me to go into your paper much further, but I figured I would start out with a few specific observations to help you out.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
BSeay
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

BSeay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BSeay
you forgot to indent (j/k)

you also need a better closing, because how you ended didnt sum up anything...
Old 12-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #6
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
ONLY 40 MORE YEARS OF GAS?!!

despite the fact that we'll all prolly be dead by then i'm horrified by the thought of that horrifies me.

dimebag dies, rock 101 KLOL turns tejano... and now i won't be able to be that kamikaze old dude that rents a viper that hits a telephone pole at top speed cause life got too boring.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:11 PM   #7
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
You need to remove all usage of the I; "I" is not formal, it is personal. It also needs to be done in such a maner since you are switching points of view,thats a big no no. I'm also not a fan of your intro paragraph. Going over the paper with a thesaurus on hand would do nicely as well, I use them for almost every paper I write.
www.thesaurus.com
Get rid of the word "bling" or atleast cite it such as I did to note its slang.
Get rid of the "et cetra" with the listing of excess materials required to build an SUV. Etc... Means i cant think of anything else but want to make this longer. How I would write that portion, "Along with their destruction to our air,SUV's are also models of extreme excess. The materials required to produce the Average SUV are often double that needed to create two normal full size sedans."

Thats all I have for now just skimming over it. Sorry, its late and i have class in the morning
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 11:12 PM   #8
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
I suppose I should've included that this is an op-ed piece, a boring one at that (for now). This is hardly a final draft, this was just a presentation of the points that I'm making in the paper. It all stems from an outline and does not have a ton of opinion. I'm still deciding what tone I want to take for the paper... right now I'm thinking serious, but serious doesn't read well. However, I don't know how to incorporate such morbid statistics into an easy and fun read.

Don't worry about how it's written, worry more about the facts contained in it.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
Jeff240sx
I hate you too...

Jeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond reputeJeff240sx has a reputation beyond repute
There are glaring errors in the layout, punctuation, and wording. These I can help you with, but you don't seem to be concerned with that. As far as the facts of this paper.. there are enough numbers to make me (and the average reader) believe that you've done the research. However, only you can be sure the facts are straight.
-Jeff
Old 12-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Anything you guys think I missed?

Also, when dealing with such morbid facts, I'm kinda stuck about what tone I should use. The "this is straight from the NHTSA" tone is boring as hell, but the facts do not exactly lend themselves to being in a lighthearted op-ed piece. Should I be sarcastic?
Old 12-13-2004, 06:20 PM   #11
90RS13
Zilvia Junkie

90RS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the whole hurting the enviroment thing is dumb. I know a ton of people with modded cars that do the enviroment alot worse than a suv. Like sitting behind a RX7, with no cat, at a light, with my eyes watering. They do use lots of gas though.

I also think I would ditch the whole, hurting the enviroment by driving offroad thing. You don't do hardly any, if any, damage be driving off raod.

Again, these are all just my opinions, but you wanted critisism.(sp?)
Old 12-13-2004, 10:14 PM   #12
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

That's exactly what I wanted, 90RS13, thank you.

The argument about modded cars doesn't really fly because of the sheer number of SUVs on the road.

I am going to nix that argument. I've determined it was idiotic.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:21 AM   #13
90RS13
Zilvia Junkie

90RS13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
The argument about modded cars doesn't really fly because of the sheer number of SUVs on the road.
very true...
Old 12-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #14
wingsnthangs
Zilvia Junkie

wingsnthangs is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to wingsnthangs
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree
Anyone can see the positive aspects of sport-utility vehicles. They’re great for families of six or more. They have more vertical cargo capacity, sometimes more overall cargo capacity. (Although, due to their larger wheels and tires, most are about equal with station wagons due to cargo area intrusion.) SUVs have a higher towing capacity due to truck chassis and more torquey engines than station wagons, for the most part. For the truly upwardly-mobile families, the truck-based SUVs offer decent-to-good off-road capabilities due to more ground clearance, more suspension articulation, and better underbody shielding. I suppose SUVs offer better visibility because occupants are higher off the road and the frontal visual opening is larger, although that one is debatable. Being high from the ground isn’t necessarily a welcome characteristic, though.

In 2003, there was an 11 percent increase in SUV crash deaths. There were 456 more deaths in SUVs than cars; more than half of above deaths were from rollovers. 22% of all auto deaths were from rollovers, compared with 62 percent of all SUV deaths. Last year, SUV rollover fatalities increased from 2448 to 2701, a 10 percent increase. Cars and pickups both saw a drop in the number of fatalities, 7.5 percent and 6.8 percent respectively, but both SUVs and vans saw an increased fatality rate of 6.8 percent and 3.6 percent in vans. Those are startling statistics, though the increase in SUV fatalities is linked somewhat to their increased sales. The worst statistic of all is the occupant fatality in rollovers, which is an astonishing 35.2 percent. More than a third of all rollovers result in death, which is both horrible and amazing. That SUV manufacturers have not addressed the issue of a too-weak body cage is disgusting. These numbers are too big to ignore, yet the manufacturers do just that. I doubt they care, as long as Joe Public thinks that because his SUV weighs over two tons, he’s safe.

SUVs are not only dangerous to their occupants, they’re dangerous to the cars with which they share the road. The difference between the average weight of passenger cars and light trucks (the category under which SUVs are grouped) is 1,185 pounds. Over half a ton more weight can do indescribable damage to a subcompact or a sports car. Also, the average SUV’s bumper is 8 inches higher than a car’s, meaning a higher point of impact in an area not designed to absorb such high forces. Because of this, 80 percent of deaths in an impact between an SUV and car are occupants of the car. In a side impact collision, the occupants of a car are 27 times more likely to die if struck by an SUV than a car striking an SUV. SUVs, due to their higher fatality rates and the increased destruction caused by them to cars, raise prices of insurance for everyone as well. They are a bane on our population and should be moderated.

SUVs also damage the environment. Their larger, normally less-sophisticated engines slurp more gas. This increased gas usage translates to higher CO, NOx, and HC output, to the obvious detriment of the atmosphere. (LA, anyone?) Maybe dealerships should institute a “buy an SUV, buy two acres of forest” program to help clean the air. SUVs are also models of material excess; to build a vehicle of that size would obviously require more steel, plastic, leather, glass, et cetera than a passenger car, depleting natural resources and increasing intrusion on nature. SUVs, the ones that actually see the flora and fauna off the beaten path, are also damaging to their surroundings. With their lugged tires and portly weight, SUVs tear up plants and destroy animals’ homes.

Americans and, increasingly, people from other countries are living lives of excess. The popularity of the SUV is proof. Some people buy big SUVs though they have but one kid and live in the suburbs, simply because they’re now a status symbol. They’re too big, too bling, and use too much gas. (Remember that we only have about a 40 year supply… at the current rate of consumption!) The new official vehicle of the modern yuppies is the SUV. With twenty-inch wheels and tinted windows, one becomes like a rock star or rapper. Had it even occurred to them (and any of you considering an SUV because it’s big or bling or your neighbor has one or Arnold has one or the commercial has that band you liked back in the Seventies) that they’re increasing our dependence on foreign oil or reducing the amount of time researchers have to come up with a viable alternative to fossil fuels? Extremely doubtful. How about this statistic: 5 percent. 5 percent is the percentage of SUV owners who actually take their SUVs off the road. All the rest just ferry around their 1.2 kids while basking in the fact that their point of view is higher than those in cars. Also, the number of SUV drivers who subconsciously exceed the speed limit is quite high, due to the fact that being higher from the ground leads to a lessened sense of speed. A bunch of speeding SUV drivers on their cell phones should be used in the Army; their destructive power would be devastating.
Constructive criticism...

As for statistics, you lose your reader's attention when you just go on and on about numbers. Summarize, noting trends. Detailed statistics should be used every now and then, but it takes away from the flow of the analytical part when bombarding your essay with them. You're arguing a point, not providing a market analysis or progress report.

The more slang you use, the less professional it seems. Less professional = less serious = less convincing. i.e. "yuppies" and "bling"

Cite/Credit sources of information. The evidence supporting your arguments seem to come from thin air. Uncited evidence is worthless. According to who? Who said it? EPA? NHTSA? Independent research firm? Consumer Reports? Numbers coming from an argumentative writer (esp one without legitimate credentials) isn't convincing enough.

Don't assume something from your audience (i.e. first sentence, "Anyone can see..."). You're making the audience do half the work for you by assuming your counterargument, the other perspective. Provide anything necessary your audience needs to know regarding the subject.

Again, personal pronouns (I, you, me) usually weakens the argument. In this case, it does.

Regarding content, you can develop more upon the safety issue conceptually. A car's safety is fundamentally judged on two aspects: (1)how well it can withstand a collision and (2)how well it can avoid a collision. And logially, accident avoidance is the most preferred. Sure SUV's are strong and will most likely save your life in the event of a collision, but it loses to most cars in the avoidance part. Maneuverability to avoid an accident is key, and cars are generally just more agile. You can use physics as well as statistics (consumer reports?) to support that....

Theres also a psychological aspect regarding safety that I read somewhere, something having to do with the driver's "invincible" mentality and disconnection from the dangers of the road.

Overall, the article seems too personally biased rather than argumentative. Overall, it isn't terrible, but there is plenty of room for improvement. Of course, this is totally my humble critique based on my humble writing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA24DESOneThree
Don't worry about how it's written, worry more about the facts contained in it.
Remember, presentation is just as important as content, if not more important. Any lawyer can tell ya that.
wingsnthangs is offline   Reply With Quote