Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
Breakdown81

Trader Rating: (0)
Breakdown81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Breakdown81
Question concerning escentric bolts

Hey guys, here's the question I got:
How many of you ran out of adjustablility on your escentric bolts for the rear toe links when or after you lowered your car/ modified your suspension in any way?

Now the reason i ask this is because of what just occured today. But first.. some backstory; About a week ago i took my car in to get some new tires put on. After the tires were set i wanted to get the car re-aligned, much to my dismay the the tech found that my drivers side front ball joint and rear axle bearing were completely destroyed. I did the responsible thing and had them order and install new bits. Cut to today, I picked the car up and chatted with the guys about my final settings.

here they are:
Front
Caster Left 6.7 right 7.0
Camber Left -1.3 right -1.1
Toe Left .05 right .05

Rear
Camber left -1.4 right -1.5
Toe left .10 right -.35
thrust angle .2

I queried them about the rear toe settings and recieved the response that the escentric bolts controlling toe adjustment were maxed out on the right side. So what these readings say to me is that for some reason my whole rearend has shifted slightly left, which seems crazy because if that were the case my LSD wouldn't be bolted in. I'm also curious about the caster settings in the front, since obviously even numbers on both sides is the goal. So any thoughts and opinions from fellow board members would be appreciated. thanks and drive safe.

-Tom
Breakdown81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I didn't read all that because I'm drunk, but the OE toe/camber settings come stock with a little negative in both. The OE adjustment is absolutely pathetic and gives you maybe 1/2 a degree to play with. If after an alignment you're still out more than spec or see a large difference between sides, get adjustable arms and replace the OE hardware with fender washers to lock it in solid. There's really no other option unless you have damage somewhere that's not visible.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:38 PM   #3
Breakdown81

I'm already running adjustable tension rods, tie rods and ruca's as well as stance coilovers. considering getting adjustable traction links, and toe links for the rear, i'm figuring out if i need to take a look at anything else before i drop the cash though.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #4
BoNyG515
Leaky Injector

BoNyG515 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoNyG515
I do alignments all day at work and personally align my s13. the stock eccentric bolts dont do much as what R240NA said. I ran out of rear toe adjustment when I completely slammed my car. I didnt have any adjustable rear links so I raised the car enough to be able to at least zero in the rear toe because I didnt want the tire to wear down alot (daily driven). you either should replace the stock toe links with adjustable ones or you can raise the car back up (the lower the car, the more the settings will be off). I hope this helps you
Old 11-11-2006, 01:27 AM   #5
BoNyG515
Leaky Injector

BoNyG515 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoNyG515
oh and as for your caster, it should be fully adjustable to be even on both sides unless something is bent. I have the battle vers ones and I set them both to 8.5
Old 11-11-2006, 01:52 AM   #6
IngS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
IngS14 is making a name for him/her selfIngS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to IngS14
take your car to a bodyshop and get it check out,maybe your rear subframe is crooked?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:20 AM   #7
Breakdown81

thanks for the responses, i think i am going to spring for the rear toe links, i need to do a little research to decide whether i want to get the traction links as well. I think that the shop Ive been using just has lazy bastards working there, i'm going to take the car to west end alignment on the next run. I doubt that the rear end is bent since the only accident the car has had was a minor tap in the passenger fender area which was my bad. But, i will take it to a body shop in the future. anyways thanks for all the advice, hopefully i'll see some of you on the track in the near future. peace.