Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-06-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Brolewigi
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Brolewigi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Custom cup holders!

I need some feedback;
Im in the process of custom machining cup holders to fit into the ash tray slot. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in these. Or if its a good idea to make them. They would be out of machined aluminum. I have not figured out the price of them quite yet but anyways give me your feedback.
let me know!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:41 PM   #2
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
sounds like a good idea but well....yeah,I want pics and what size cups will fit? Standard cup holder size? Little bigger? Biggie drink(OOOoOoOoOH!)
Ghettokracker71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
TUnity2
Zilvia Junkie

TUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of lightTUnity2 is a glorious beacon of light
SOunds sweet to me, i hate not havin a cup holder. i'll pick one up if i can see some pics.
TUnity2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Demik
Zilvia Addict

Demik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of lightDemik is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Demik
i want one.. "BUY IT NOW" ?? lol. ebays cool
Demik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:43 PM   #5
UcanTry
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
UcanTry is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UcanTry
lets see some pics
Old 04-06-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
mellojoe
Zilvia Junkie

mellojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
ashtray? what ashtray?

A good place for one would be on the passenger side of the console, right where their thighs go.

...within reach, yet out of the way...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:07 PM   #7
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
this is the only pic I got of my cup holder, but it serves it's purpose very well. It's one of those carmate vent clip types. I've had that thing for years. I see it as one of my favorites mods!
Old 04-06-2004, 05:11 PM   #8
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
I bought a universal one a while back. The crappy part is that there really isn't any good place in a 240 to put them. Ashtray sucks b/c you have to shift like a fairy with your elbow in the air. So I had to put mine where the rear ashtray is. Sucks when I have to get my drink but I got used to reaching it, plus it has a spring loaded brace thingie so it adjusts to a lot of sizes.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:01 PM   #9
TachyonS14
Zilvia Member

TachyonS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TachyonS14
I remember a guy on Nico made a custom one and I think he sold a few. Here's the links:

http://www.nissaninfiniticlub.net/fo...ght=cup+holder

http://blinkme7182.tripod.com/marcss...spage/id7.html

What I don't get is, why didn't he reverse the cutt out since the part that is being covered is deeper and would have less chance of spilling. Maybe it got in the way of his shifting i dunno
Old 04-07-2004, 05:08 AM   #10
Brolewigi
Zilvia Member

see, the difference the major difference between mine and that guys is mine is going to be machined out of 1/2" aluminum. I have a Haas cnc machine at my shop and im going to make a prototype one this week. Also, im working on getting them anodized. So im sure that you will have a couple of options. Probably in stock aluminum, polished aluminum, anodized black, blue,red. But I have to see if its going to be cost effective to get the kit. It all depends on how much/many I can sell of these babys... THATS WHY I NEED FEEDBACK!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:18 AM   #11
Blues13
Zilvia Junkie

Blues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be down for one if it looks good/quality.. I tired of pulling out my ash tray everytime I have a drink. It's hard to tell without a pic tho, I dont want some cheap looking stuff that's out of place in my interior.
Blues13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:59 AM   #12
radhaz
Premium Member

radhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud of
I remember someone was working on a carbon fiber setup in there too, I just opted to make mine in the center console its not the prettiest thing but it really comes in handy. DIY Cupholder

Need a 96 driver side window switch. Feel free to pm me with a price
radhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 07:24 AM   #13
gogeeta13
Zilvia Member

gogeeta13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to gogeeta13
if you plan on using thick aluminum, there is no room unless you cut out the light for the ash tray...i made one before, I made a crappy fiberglass one, if I spent more time I could make a mold and make it all nice and flush with the console...but I dont think I care that much...

http://www.240sxforums.com/forums/sh...hlight=diy+cup

1993 Altima SE

-------------------------
1993 240sx Base - SOLD
[Blacktop and such]
1992 240sx Base - SOLD
[Road Race/Auto X Beast]
1993 240sx Hicas - SOLD
2001 Xterra SE V6 4x4 5 speed - SOLD
gogeeta13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 AM   #14
Brolewigi
Zilvia Member

its going to be cnc'd out of aluminum. It will look good, it will fit tightly, and flush. Just give me a few days, ill post pics. I should be working on it today.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:48 AM   #15
CrispMofo
Leaky Injector

CrispMofo is an unknown quantity at this point
I think a cup holder in the ashtray area is bad idea.
At least for me, it gets in the way of my arm when shifting so I placed my cup holder somewhere else.
CrispMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:38 AM   #16
sticky240
Zilvia Junkie

sticky240 is an unknown quantity at this point
i agree that the ashtray location gets in the way of shifting but I am eager to see pics of it.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #17
exitspeed
aWingThing.com

Trader Rating: (1)
exitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfectionexitspeed is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
since I've been on this board this is the millionth "I'm making custom cupholders" thread.

Lets see when your finished, if you do.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:43 PM   #18
justinhustle
Nissanaholic!

justinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enoughjustinhustle will become famous soon enough
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

fuck a cup holder too, thats what my gf is for...less accessories, more useless jdm interior parts is my motto

ps im in if its in cf, cuz my gf just hit me
justinhustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:55 PM   #19
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Ghettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enoughGhettokracker71 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Ghettokracker71 Send a message via Yahoo to Ghettokracker71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteed
DONT DRINK AND DRIVE!

fuck a cup holder too, thats what my gf is for...less accessories, more useless jdm interior parts is my motto

ps im in if its in cf, cuz my gf just hit me
hah hah....wait,the girlfreind is supposed to hold the cups? Damnit shes been making me...
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM   #20
CrispMofo
Leaky Injector

CrispMofo is an unknown quantity at this point
I ripped out my center a/c vent and installed a cup holder.
It's a good location, plus I use it as an ashtray when I have an empty cup so blazing a smoke while driving and keeping my eyes on the road when ashing.
CrispMofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #21
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispMofo
I ripped out my center a/c vent and installed a cup holder.
It's a good location, plus I use it as an ashtray when I have an empty cup so blazing a smoke while driving and keeping my eyes on the road when ashing.
I plan on doing something like this... but keeping the vents. I moved my cd player to the bottom din spot, and relocated the heater controls to where the cd player used to be. I'm going to seal up the opening and mount a pullout cup holder in there pretty soon.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #22
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty_X
I plan on doing something like this... but keeping the vents. I moved my cd player to the bottom din spot, and relocated the heater controls to where the cd player used to be. I'm going to seal up the opening and mount a pullout cup holder in there pretty soon.
how hard was it ? J/W
Old 04-08-2004, 07:03 AM   #23
Brolewigi
Zilvia Member

I machined it up last night, its just a prototype. I have to reprogram the machine to fine tune some things. I have to fix one of the radius' of the corner because it was a tight fit. I didnt get a chance to take any pictures last night but I will put some up later today after I get off of work. It looks great(for a prototype)!
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #24
240Stilo
Junkie

240Stilo is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 240Stilo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker
Is it just me or does it look like the e-brake is going through the steering wheel?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:39 PM   #25
Blues13
Zilvia Junkie

Blues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I dunno about putting a cupholder in my vents.. if you're gonna do that much modding, it better be for performance or for gauges.
Blues13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:45 PM   #26
Ghettokracker71
Post Whore!

I'd be afraid that a clip-on vent cupholder wouldn't be strong enough to hold a cup (With me personally,its almost always a bottle of water or a red bull)
Old 04-08-2004, 09:31 PM   #27
Brolewigi
Zilvia Member

I finished writing the cutter path today and I completed one. I only had a scrap piece of aluminum at the shop so it wont look that great on the bottom. However, it fits nicely and looks quite good. I took pictures tonight but I used my friends digital camera so I couldn't upload the pictures at my house. I am going to get them tomorrow, I promise.

I have another question, If this thing meets your guy's approval; then how much would you be seriouly willing to pay for it. I am planning on selling them over ebay and I want to know how much I should sell them for, Thats why I want to get an idea of how much people would be willing to spend on them.

Pictures Tomorrow afternoon!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #28
SauN
Zilvia Member

SauN is an unknown quantity at this point
i would be willing to buy one for maybe around 20$ or less
SauN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:20 PM   #29
Salty_X
Zilvia FREAK!

Salty_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71
how hard was it ? J/W
To relocate the heater unit? Easy. It's got four "tabs" on it, two sticking out on each side, top and bottom.

[o o xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx o o]
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[o o xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx o o]

Shitty ASCII but you get the idea. The Xs are supposed to be the actual unit, and the Os are screw holes in the tabs.
The unit won't fit in the DIN spot with the tabs, so you have to cut them. You can either cut them off entirely and make a bracket to mount it, or you can do what I did (the fast, easy way) and cut the bottom tabs off entirely, but leave half of the top tab ([o xxxx o] instead of [o o xxxx o o]), and run zip-ties through the holes and "mount" it to a plastic divider running in between the din spots and the heater spot inside the console.
I haven't even started on the cup-holder yet though. It's on the backburner for the moment.
Hope that made some sense.

If they look good and are cheap I might buy one. I can always use the heater space for gauges or electronics, and it'd probably be cheaper than making my own funky version.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:36 AM   #30
Shin_Kudo
Zilvia Addict

Shin_Kudo is an unknown quantity at this point
Has anyone seen the cupholders available for the Miata? I think it'd be really cool to have ones like them made out of anodized aluminum. Here's how they work:

Picture a square box, about 3 inches on a side, about a half inch thick, with a clamshell design. This box mounts to the side of the center console. To use it, the "top" of the box (now the side) swings down to horizontal to support the cup. then, from the inside, another piece swings up. This piece has a hole through it, to accomodate the cup and keep it from falling over. Versions also exist that are twice as wide, in order to hold two cups.

One of these cupholders would be nice because they are functional, look cool, and are relatively simple to make. Also nice is the fact that they can fold up into almost nothing when not needed, unlike something, for example, mounted on the vent.
Shin_Kudo is offline   Reply With Quote