Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-07-2006, 02:13 PM   #1
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Megan Racing Turbo Outlet/Extension/Elbow Fitment (pix & ?)

After searching for a long time on Megan Racing turbo outlet/extension/elbow/whatever you want to call it, I got one to see for myself. It was pretty cheap and I thought it would be a good idea to replace my tired stock turbo outlet. Since I wasn't able to find any conclusive info, I'll post my comments below here.

The unit itself fits pretty well. Comes with 2 new gaskets for both ends and all the nuts and bolts you'll need. It bolts onto the stock T25 with no problems. It fits my Tanabe 3" downpipe. I took it out of the car to take better pix for you guys.

There was some drama a while back about oxygen/O2 sensor fitment. Apparently Megan took care of this. They included a reducer bolt that has the proper bolt pattern to fit the skinny redtop O2 sensor (FYI, redtops have the 17mm "skinny" sensor and blacktops have the 22mm "fatty" sensor).

So it fits pretty well as you can see. Saved me some trouble since I didn't have to drill and tap like on the older versions. The only comment I have on the sensor fitment is you can see it doesn't sit as far in as a fatty would since the reducer bolt brings the skinny out maybe a 1/2" or so.

Now can anybody say conclusively which make/model O2 sensor will bolt into the fatty hole and plug up to the harness without splicing? The fatty sensor is meant to plug into the turbo manifold and the wire may not be long enough to reach. I thought this would be a simple question but apparently there's no info posted on it.

g6civcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
figures that they've started making that bolt now.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:22 PM   #3
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
welp... free bump cuz I REALLY want to know the answer as well.

that is a seriously BLACK o2 meter!
I hope mine isn't like that, I've got a replacement, but the old one stripped... wouldn't u know it.

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:12 PM   #4
g6civcx
Post Whore!

g6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfectiong6civcx is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
welp... free bump cuz I REALLY want to know the answer as well.

that is a seriously BLACK o2 meter!
I hope mine isn't like that, I've got a replacement, but the old one stripped... wouldn't u know it.
My car is running really rich under part throttle and even backfiring. I think it's because the O2 is like that.

How did you remove your sensor? The best way is to get a 17mm or 22mm O2 sensor socket, depending on which type you have. It's basically a deep well socket with a slot in the side cut out for the wire to pass through. If you try to remove it with an open end wrench you'll strip it since you won't have enough leverage to break it free.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Speed_dreams

Trader Rating: (0)
Speed_dreams is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the Megan Elbow on my car and well...It broke right in half!! i was told it was either Abuse/lack of support/to much engine movment and it cracked...whatever the case is those are my comments on the peice.

but having said that For $130 you can't go wrong when teh greddy one is almost 3 times the price!
Speed_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
sunnys14
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (19)
sunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nicesunnys14 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
anyone think its ok to weld a wideband sensor bung onto the turbo extension?
sunnys14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #7
g6civcx
Post Whore!

I think the GReddy piece is the best if money is no issue, but the Megan piece is really cheap. Plus I'm getting mine ceramic coated so it should be able to stand up to the heat.

Plus I would rather have the elbow snap then do damage to the manifold or the block. In the entire exhaust system, the elbow and downpipe are by far the cheapest pieces so it's not a big deal.

As far as welding a wideband sensor bung, I don't see why not. The O2 sensor bung was welded on from the factory. As long as you do a good job of welding and grind down all the sharp edges smooth, you should be okay.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Slip&Sliden 240
Zilvia Member

Slip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfectionSlip&Sliden 240 is close to perfection
Wideband sensors need to be 24" down stream of the turbo, Unless you buy the heatsink that SPL sells.
Slip&Sliden 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:05 PM   #9
krustindumm
Zilvia Junkie

krustindumm is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by g6civcx
My car is running really rich under part throttle and even backfiring. I think it's because the O2 is like that.

How did you remove your sensor? The best way is to get a 17mm or 22mm O2 sensor socket, depending on which type you have. It's basically a deep well socket with a slot in the side cut out for the wire to pass through. If you try to remove it with an open end wrench you'll strip it since you won't have enough leverage to break it free.
I'f you aren't planning on reusing it, just cut off the wires or knock off the top and use a socket.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 PM   #10
umsports
Zilvia.net Advertiser

umsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura aboutumsports has a spectacular aura about
I've never had one customer call in three years to let me know they have had a turbo elbow, manifold, etc crack or break....

I think the key here is using a downpipe that has a flex joint.....that really relieves alot of the pressure off the elbow, turbo, manifold, etc...
Old 03-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
I got a Greddy elbow and I cracked it. Then again if youve seen how low my car, youd understand why and how it cracked. Car is so low that my exhaust flange catches freeway reflectors when i switch lanes. Anyways, im in the process of cutting my flanges off my Blitz exhaust and welding a flexpipe on the DP to ease up on the elbow and turbo manifold bolts.

As far as the Fattie o2 sensor, it should be the Blacktop S13 sensor. Its off a 88 300ZX, atleast that wut im running when mine took a dump last year.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
g6civcx
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustindumm
I'f you aren't planning on reusing it, just cut off the wires or knock off the top and use a socket.
That's a good tip. Just snip the wires and use a deep well socket on it.

You'll still need an oxygen sensor socket to tighten it though because you may not be able to get a wrench in the tight space.

I just ordered a Z32 TT O2 sensor. I'll give you guys an update on how that goes.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 AM   #13
vegita319
Zilvia Junkie

vegita319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vegita319
sorry for bumping old thread but i figured this might be archived later and so imma postit here.
Now regarding the 17mm o2 sensor socket, where do u find this thing? Autozone doesnt have it and sears doesnt either. I know using a 17 open will prolly work but i wanna buy the 17mm o2 scket but everywhere i go, they only have the fat 22 mm one.
vegita319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:57 AM   #14
vegita319
Zilvia Junkie

vegita319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to vegita319
laggy computer sucks, sorry for the double post.
vegita319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:11 AM   #15
g6civcx
Post Whore!

The smaller O2 sensor socket will have to be ordered. They don't usually carry them in stock.

Your local parts store can get it.