Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-13-2007, 10:55 PM   #1
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
How to: Install S14 power folding mirrors

OK i managed to piece togather bits and pieces from other forums, and made up the rest. it works.

to start off the reason i did this is that since 80% of the other vehicles on the road where i live are SUVs or trucks, their damn lights blind me and i am sick of re-adjusting my mirrors all the time.

so i started out with a 97 S14, with power mirrors
i bought JDM power folders and a switch.

1. remove interior bezels from door panels.
2. remove door panels and plastic triangle piece the inside of the mirror.
3. remove 3 10mm bolts hold the mirror on, and the power clip behind the plastic sheet above the speaker.
4. remove center console unclipping the power mirror switch

ok now for a break and switching out the mirrors and motors.

1.remove 3 phillips screws that hold on the mirror housing to the stand on all 4 mirrors

2. pull glass off all 4 mirrors (it just pops off)
should look like this now:

(note this is a folding one^)

3. unscrew phillips serew in the middle and pull off the mirror backing so you are left with this:

(once a gain a folder, non folding have different screw points^)

4. unscrew the 4 mounting screws and pull the motor assembly out of the folder and into the US housing (can be skipped if you like the paint on the folding mirror better than your US mirror)

5. under the foam on the back of the triangle base there is a phillips screw that holds on an angled piece of plastic that is clamping the wires in place, remove the screw and the piece of plastic, then cut the plug and remove the wires from the base.

ok here are some comparison shots for you guys:

USDM glass top, JDM glass bottom
JDM folding motor removed top, USDM power mirror bottom

JDM housing and triangle mount top (nice and painted body color)
USDM housing and triangle mount bottom (crappy grey plastic)
you can use the JDM ones, but you are retarded if you do. the angle is all wrong so it makes your mirrors almost useless. i tried removeing the metal bracket inside the plastic houseing to see if they are interchangeable and if that would correct the mounting angles, but they are not. The plastic is formed to each one and the metal mounts will not interchange with the mount houseings.

The mirror houseings however, are interchangeable. since i liked my paint better, i kept my USDM housing.

6. install the motor in the USDM houseing (drops right in perfectly, no modifications)

7. attach whatever houseing you have with the folding motors in it onto the USDM triangle base.

now you are done with the mechanical part of the swap (if you can't figure you how to re-assemble from there you don't need to be doing this in the first place)

next comes the wireing. do yourself a favor and re-pin things or use some sort of a conector that is not perminate so you can remove if needed without cutting and re-spliceing.

The door:
the JDM wires use the same base colors as the USDM wires, so connect those up there will be two extra wires comeing from the mirrors, you will have to run 2 wires from mirrors to the center console for EACH mirror. use your diecression on this, either around the hinge, or if you have midget hands and feel like dissambeling the dash you could toss it in the rubber hose that has the main door harness in it for a cleaner look.

The switch:
you ahve to have the JWM switch in order to do this right, i had it so i will not bother with how to jury rig a switch seperate.

OK the JDM switch has some wires comeing out of it, and the USDM wires comeing out of the car are somewhat differant, here is how to hook the wires togather (note : colors should be close for all cars i have been led to belive):

Purple/White -> Purple/White
Blue/White -> Blue/Black
Black -> Black
Blue/Red -> Blue/Red
Yellow/Black -> Yellow/Red
Orange -> Orange/Silver
Yellow/Green -> Yellow/Green

Now you are left with a Green/Black and a Green/Black/Silver wire comeing off the JDM switch. those two wires connect to BOTH mirrors each, so be sure to have some sort of a bigger connection or splice to work with to "T" the one wire into two. (or solder and wrap)

ALWAYS INSULATE CONNECTIONS
or you will have "mystery" problems as things bounce around and ground out. heat shrink or electrical tape the connnections as you go.

it doesn't matter how you hook those up so long as they are the SAME on both mirrors. you will know if they are not becasue one mirror will go out when the other goes in if they are not correct. remember how i told you to use some sort of interchangeable plugs? swap the wires to the mirror if they are wrong now.

button everyhting back up and you are done.

estimated time: 3 hours takeing it easy

estimated time with drinking and friends and custom installing speakers and tweeters: two days

Tools needed:
Phillips screwdriver
small needle nose pliars (to fish out the wireing through the door)
wratched and 10mm socket
wire stripper/cutters

crimper
1 box crimp connectors (red min of 6)
1 box blade connectors (red min of 8)
1 box blade receptors (red min of 8)
2 T-splices or 2 larger diamater (i went with yellow) crimp connectors

hope thsi clarifies everything, any more questions feel free to ask.
Tenchuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #2
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I like your signature.
If I'm not mistaken, the procedure is the same for S13, save for wiring.
I've swapped everything over for myself like you, but I never got around to do the wiring.
+R4U
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You can do it one up and put in UK heated glass too, that's even more fun since you have to fish two extra wires through the mirror assembly, but it's worth it in the winter time.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #4
Slidin240Wayz
Post Whore!

Slidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfectionSlidin240Wayz is close to perfection
Very nice! Looking into RHD mirrors on the LH side sucks.

Carlos
Slidin240Wayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
SilviaSR20DET
Zilvia FREAK!

SilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her selfSilviaSR20DET is making a name for him/her self
does the power folding mirrors fold when the car shuts off? what benefits are there of having them as opposed to stock?
SilviaSR20DET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:50 PM   #6
mrmephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaSR20DET
does the power folding mirrors fold when the car shuts off? what benefits are there of having them as opposed to stock?
You can wire them to fold in when you arm your alarm or lock your doors or whatever, but stock, they're not autonomous. The idea behind them is to aid in driving down narrow roads and parking in narrow spaces without having your mirrors hit other cars'. Mostly superfluous in the US, but very useful here in Japan.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 AM   #7
Dutchmalmiss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (14)
Dutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfectionDutchmalmiss is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Dutchmalmiss
in terms of an s13 base model, how hard would this be? i've had some sittin around, but never got to it.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:30 AM   #8
mrmephistopheles

As hard as running the wires and finding a ground and 12V ignition lead. They aren't something you want having 12V constant.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:50 AM   #9
projectRDM
Post Whore!

projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Not even that. The motors are a reverse polarity like any other motor, so just two wires to each mirror, then have them fed by either the OE switch, a pair of relays, or a built in relay pack in the alarm.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #10
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
redpotatoes is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I bought JDM power folding mirror, When I bought them, I didn't thought about the RHD view on LHD car. Here is how I will proceed:

USDM mirrors/glasses on JDM power folding motors in JDM housings attached to USDM triangle mounts linked to a JDM switch.

I am looking for a JDM power folding switch S14. Anyone has one to sell ?

Last edited by redpotatoes; 02-07-2007 at 02:34 PM..
redpotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Not sure if someone can answer this, since I am not able to get a hand on a JDM S14 power mirror switch, can I use another Nissan/Infiniti switch ?

Model 1

Model 2

Old 02-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Yes, the pinout is the same for both types of switches, so as long as you have the plug you're fine, just cut and rewire.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #13
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Here is the switch I got:

Seems that I only have 6 wires coming of the JDM switch. I did not removed my console yet but I will soon(1week), I should be able to give more details and take pictures of the OEM USDM wires from the car and USDM switch. If I look at your rewiring, seems that I am missing some wires:

Quote:
he JDM switch has some wires comeing out of it, and the USDM wires comeing out of the car are somewhat differant, here is how to hook the wires togather (note : colors should be close for all cars i have been led to belive):

Purple/White -> Purple/White
Blue/White -> Blue/Black
Black -> Black
Blue/Red -> Blue/Red
Yellow/Black -> Yellow/Red
Orange -> Orange/Silver
Yellow/Green -> Yellow/Green

Now you are left with a Green/Black and a Green/Black/Silver wire comeing off the JDM switch. those two wires connect to BOTH mirrors each, so be sure to have some sort of a bigger connection or splice to work with to "T" the one wire into two. (or solder and wrap)
Old 03-03-2007, 04:12 PM   #14
projectRDM
Post Whore!

That's not a mirror switch plug, wrong color wires.

If you have a 95 though it will plug right in, then you can use two of those wires from the incorrect plug to pin into yours. 96-98s use a gray square plug with smaller pins.
If you have a 96-98, find a 95 model and cut the plug out, match all the colors up then again use two of those from the incorrect plug above and pin the folding outputs.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #15
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

Tenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfectionTenchuu is close to perfection
and just for reference this is the switch that i used:

and even my basic US plug as 7 wires stock. I think russ is right and someone worked you on that plug. repin time

my stock plug, fingers and my pair of path shoes.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
heyitzalan
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
heyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant futureheyitzalan has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
i have a 96 zenki, do i have to buy a motor to make the mirrors folded?
heyitzalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

nope, all you have to do is walk outside and fold them in by hand. but if you are lazy like some of us and want that convenience at the touch of a button you have to buy the mirrors and the switch and wire it. for questions read 1st post.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #18
redpotatoes
Zilvia Member

Ok so my switch is the right one but the plug I have is wrong. I do have a 95 so the OEM plug on the car will fit right in the switch I bought, I will need to take 2 pins out of the wrong plug, put them in the oem plug and wire that to the 2 extra wires doing "Y" and going the the mirrors. Sounds right ? I will take a look at the plug on my friend's Pulsar GTi-R (he has the same switch, it should help).
Old 03-04-2007, 12:45 PM   #19
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

as rumor has it yes, all you have to do to check is to pop out your current switch (it pops right out with a bit o prying) and make sure that the plug is the same. if so then look at the folder switch and see which two pins are used on the switch for fold/unfold, and take two pins out of the ??? plug pictured and put them into the stock one in the places (should be next to each other) that the JDM switch has contacts that don't line up with the USDM wiring harness.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #20
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Bingo. The switch you have will plug right in, then just pin two wires from the junk plug into the two open spots, Y those out to each mirror. One will fold in, one out, if it's reversed just flip the wires.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:30 PM   #21
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Would a 2000-2003 maxima mirror work? It looks identical but I'd have to see one in person I guess. I'd only use the heating element
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM   #22
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Doubtful. Heated glass is easy as hell to get overseas, it's standard in the UK. I got a full pair of mirrors for less than $40, sold the housings with my old glass for $50 a week later.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #23
joeytoad83

Trader Rating: (0)
joeytoad83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i put them on my s13 not to hard, my only question is why one side folds in more than the other
joeytoad83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #24
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to RUTH'LESSDET
great post

bump
Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 PM   #25
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

RUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to allRUTH'LESSDET is a name known to all
Does anyone know of a way to wire the mirrors so when you turn your key into the on position the mirrors fold out and when you turn the key off then they close??? I know that some extra sh*t but hey I have the mirrors I wanna get my money worth outta them
Old 08-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #26
Tenchuu
Post Whore!

just use a relay to a 12V switched witre instead of the switch. should be cake.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:06 PM   #27
RUTH'LESSDET
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchuu View Post
just use a relay to a 12V switched witre instead of the switch. should be cake.
can you help me with a lil more detailed instructions? im a newbie to this wiriing game..............
Old 10-17-2007, 07:26 PM   #28
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to KingKong8247
RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET View Post
Does anyone know of a way to wire the mirrors so when you turn your key into the on position the mirrors fold out and when you turn the key off then they close??? I know that some extra sh*t but hey I have the mirrors I wanna get my money worth outta them
I like that idea. Im going to try this. If I can figure it out Ill let you know. Or if you figured it out already let me know.

Anyone have any tips?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 PM   #29
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Tip was already made, use a relay off the ignition. It's not brain surgery.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
Old 12-03-2007, 09:17 PM   #30
alkemyst
Zilvia Addict

alkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nicealkemyst is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to alkemyst
Someone has posted that if you swap the bases to USDM the driver side doesn't fold in flush, but sticks out a bit (compared to the passenger side and what the JDM base does).

Anyone have pics of this with USDM bases and JDM folding motors folded in?

Å