Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #1
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
VH45de into S14

Heres the specs

VH45de q45 V8
300zx Twin turbo 5 speed
Aluminum Driveshaft

Been working on it for a few weeks

Heres the car

s14

18 by 10 265/30
18 by 11 295/30

Full suspension , and brembos

Tranny

Engine out

Side by side

Going in

Yes the hood closes

Making headers

Clearing the sterring shaft

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

gsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond reputegsracer has a reputation beyond repute

Merge collectors

Driverside

GRound clearance

Pass side

Out of the car, equal length FTW!!!

Valve covers just powder coated Ferrari wrionkle red

Old 04-10-2007, 09:05 PM   #3
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Interesting..what bellhousing is used to bolt the tranny up?
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
bustav13t
Zilvia Member

bustav13t will become famous soon enoughbustav13t will become famous soon enoughbustav13t will become famous soon enoughbustav13t will become famous soon enoughbustav13t will become famous soon enough
SUPER HOTNESS! you must post videos of the car running! +1,000,000
bustav13t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
white97s14
Leaky Injector

white97s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
that is dope, nice car man
Old 04-10-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
that is beyond dope, pics of the motor mounts?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
....dammm

how did you mount that thing? brackets and home made mounts? Hows the shifter position? more pictures!
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #8
turbo2nr
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
turbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enoughturbo2nr will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo2nr
wow that is gona be sex on wheels.. i say make a custom intake as well that stock one is fugly..

if you look in the new modify jun made a nice custome mainfold for the vq motor. i say try and copy it and make it work for you..

any chance of turbo v8?

s14 kouki ka-t
turbo2nr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #9
ohspizzill
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ohspizzill is on the path to ruinohspizzill is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow that is hot. mad skilizzz.
ohspizzill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #10
xblack240x
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
xblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the roughxblack240x is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xblack240x
Nice work man, and DIY I have to give you props.. One question, you gonna sell that KA? Keep us updated and dyno is you can =)
xblack240x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
heres a video of the same motor in a s13 but twin turbo

awesome stuff gsracer i was wondering when someone would do this swap.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
You'll pick up 30hp just with the headers, the VH manifolds are some of the nastiest ones on the road. Nice work.
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:42 PM   #13
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

After trying every possible way to fit it, i decided that turbo at least for now was to time consuming not to mention difficult. lol

The car will be getting custom cams, head porting and Individual throttle bodies.

Goal is 380-400 whp N/A. more than enough power for a track (road race) car.

As for motor mounts, i did what most vq guys do. Just used a hockey puck and made my own bracket to put the motor as low as possible and as far back as possible. The motor is 2 mm off of the crossmember

Heres pics

Old 04-10-2007, 09:56 PM   #14
irritatedmax
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
irritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enoughirritatedmax will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
looks great. i definitely want to see how this all pans out.
irritatedmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
this is awesomeness!!!

how heavy is it compared to the ka?
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

it starts out at 521 lbs, not bad considering the fact the KA weighs 493.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #17
Nachtmensch
Zilvia Addict

Nachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond reputeNachtmensch has a reputation beyond repute
sick! deffinately subscribed

looking good. wish i had cash for that kind of swap...
Nachtmensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
datboibrad
Zilvia Addict

datboibrad can only hope to improve
nice work man. got a few questions that i havent seen addressed in your original post.

1.) why that motor and not VQ or even LS1
2.) last i checked there was no real aftermarket for that motor, so what are your plans for making 350-400whp NA
datboibrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:53 PM   #19
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Funny you should ask, If you look in the for sale section, you will see my built SR20 for sale, i didnt even use it, just got bored of it.

1. I have an unlimited supply of free motors since my father in law owns 3 junkyards. Plus points for different, keeping it nissan, etc.

2. Custom cams and head work and a short runner intake manifold or itbs will get me there, the motor should be at 290-300 whp in the form it is in now. If all else fails, I have a vortech V2 that will get me there and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboibrad
nice work man. got a few questions that i havent seen addressed in your original post.

1.) why that motor and not VQ or even LS1
2.) last i checked there was no real aftermarket for that motor, so what are your plans for making 350-400whp NA
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 PM   #20
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

Gavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Gavster
looks awesome man....great work! My hat is off to you!! Keep it up!
Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 PM   #21
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
props to you man. My hat is off to quite an endeavor.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 PM   #22
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
fuckin incredibly nice. keep up the good work.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #23
k0uki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (47)
k0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfectionk0uki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 47 reviews
+1 for a badass swap
k0uki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #24
eastcoastS14
Post Whore!

eastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfectioneastcoastS14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to eastcoastS14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer

1. I have an unlimited supply of free motors since my father in law owns 3 junkyards. Plus points for different, keeping it nissan, etc.
^^ well i already think your cool for doing this....however i would think you were even cooler if you could find a 5spd 1jz at a zilvian discount if you think there is a possibility lmk..... but seriously nice swap
eastcoastS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 PM   #25
datboibrad
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsracer
Funny you should ask, If you look in the for sale section, you will see my built SR20 for sale, i didnt even use it, just got bored of it.

2. Custom cams and head work and a short runner intake manifold or itbs will get me there, the motor should be at 290-300 whp in the form it is in now. If all else fails, I have a vortech V2 that will get me there and more
iirc that motor was rated at 275bhp unless a later model nissan had more power added to it. but when i was introduced in early 90's in items such as the q45 it was only 275bhp. which nets somewhere south of 240whp. hopefully you can make another 60whp on cams and a good manifold, but i wouldnt hold my breath on stock compression.

props to you man, especially on the headers. makes me not complain so much about the ls1 headers on my car =p
Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM   #26
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

You are correct sir, stock power was at 278 hp at the crank.

However it is rumored to be under rated from the factory.

The q45 guys are getting 230 whp stock ,250 whp with exhaust to as much as 290whp with headers and exhaust. All thru the stock auto tranny.

I hope this motor gets to at least 290 whp
Old 04-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #27
datboibrad
Zilvia Addict

cool deal. well if it all fucks off then im sure you can find a 5.3 lq motor out of a truck in your dads junk yard. those motors make the same hp as an ls1 just less touqre. not a bad option for a junkyard build IMO.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #28
johngriff
Post Whore!

johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastS14
^^ well i already think your cool for doing this....however i would think you were even cooler if you could find a 5spd 1jz at a zilvian discount if you think there is a possibility lmk..... but seriously nice swap
I think his connection is a wrecking yard, not a jdm junkyard.

Dude Hockey Pucks ftw. We used Hockey pucks on this S12--> VG30DE Swap that just got banged out. So you were 2mm off slot line up? Does not sound bad at all. Dremel!

We were thinking of doing a manual trans swap on a friends q. This is shaping up to be the same only MUCH lighter. It sucks that you wont feel the before and after of the headers, it is a HUGE difference.... oh that and Nitrous. This engine LOVES nitrous.

Turbo...? Short of a low compression rebuild and some serious management, Rear Axle mount? Have to keep it V8 Style.

Reasons why VH45>LS1:
Over Head cam, IE 4 CAMS.
Much Higher Redline.
Lighter.
Nissan.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:39 PM   #29
gsracer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by datboibrad
cool deal. well if it all fucks off then im sure you can find a 5.3 lq motor out of a truck in your dads junk yard. those motors make the same hp as an ls1 just less touqre. not a bad option for a junkyard build IMO.

That was option B lol.

Its my inlaws junkyard not my dads haha
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM   #30
240REVS

240REVS is an unknown quantity at this point
WOW! Thats Nice!! Cant wait to see it all in place..! Good Job
240REVS is offline   Reply With Quote