Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-24-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
rsxyz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
rsxyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Megan Racing Turbo Outlet -Elbow o2 question

Hey , I got the Megan racing turbo outlet and im not sure what o2 sensor im supposed to use with it . the stock one i guess is the skinny one and is way too small for it . the outlet looks liek it needs to use a bigger o2 sensor. I have a sr20det redtop , what o2 sensor should i use ? please help , thanks
rsxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
rsxyz
Zilvia Member

I was told that the greddy one has the same size fitting but it comes with an adapter to be able to fit the skinny o2 sensors. please give me some info , all information is appreciated. thanks
Old 10-24-2004, 07:54 PM   #3
96twofourty
Zilvia Junkie

96twofourty is an unknown quantity at this point
wideband or egt?
Old 10-24-2004, 07:58 PM   #4
rsxyz
Zilvia Member

hmm im not sure , just the regular one to make the motor work. im not trying to tune it or anything yet , jsut worried about getting the car running.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
rsxyz
Zilvia Member

right now the stock 02 on the stock turbo outlet is small and thin , the thread hole for the o2 sensor is bigger. Ive heard that there are two different o2's the skinny type and the bigger type , does anyone know what application the bigger o2 is used for ? thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 08:15 AM   #6
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
rsxyz: After a quick inspection of my stock redtop turbo outlet, it appears that the stocker has a built-in 'adapter': the skinny 02 sensor threads into a big bolt (bung?) that threads directly into the outlet. This is the same set-up as the KA24DE.

Did you remove just the 02 sensor or the 02 sensor and the adapter?

Todd
sciamop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:29 AM   #7
rsxyz
Zilvia Member

I didnt know the stock outlet had the adapter in there because im still in the process of putting my motor into my car. The reason I was asking about it was because i ordered the Megan Racing outlet and my friend said the stock o2 was too small , but ill have a chance to look at the stock elbow today , thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #8
sr240mike
Zilvia FREAK!

sr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her selfsr240mike is making a name for him/her self
The last time I bought an o2 sensor for the sr I got the one for a 87 - Nissan 300zx Turbo as listed on http://www.sr20det.nismo.org/srtech.htm , but it was too big for the stock pipe. It did have the same connector. That one might fit in yours.

TWO IN THE COOT, ONE IN THE POOT
sr240mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
sciamop
Zilvia Member

sciamop is making a name for him/her selfsciamop is making a name for him/her self
Not a direct fit...

The skinny 02 sensor (redtop) is *not* a direct fit for the Megan Racing Turbo Outlet. Oddly, the fatty from the KA24DE fit right in!

MR does include a bolt that fits into the 02 sensor hole. I think their intention is that you tap it out to fit the 02 sensor.

rsxyz: What was your pal's conclusion? Do you have the size/thread pitch for the skinny 02?

sr240mike: was that 02 sensor the same size as the DEs?

Todd
Old 11-02-2004, 06:28 PM   #10
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I was told that you can remove the bung from the stock 02 fitting and thread it into the elbow.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
sciamop
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
I was told that you can remove the bung from the stock 02 fitting and thread it into the elbow.
The stock fitting is too big. Pictures to come...
Old 11-02-2004, 07:59 PM   #12
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciamop
The stock fitting is too big. Pictures to come...
so.. i just recently purchased one of these turbo outlets from megan racing.. it does have one of those bolted caps where the o2 sensor should go.. so your telling me that i have to tap that bolt and put my (redtop) "skinny" o2 sensor into this new megan racing outlet? plz elaborate on this.. or should i go purchase an o2 sensor from a KA24DE "fatty" and use that instead?
-usmd-180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 05:00 AM   #13
sciamop
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -usmd-180sx
so.. i just recently purchased one of these turbo outlets from megan racing.. it does have one of those bolted caps where the o2 sensor should go.. so your telling me that i have to tap that bolt and put my (redtop) "skinny" o2 sensor into this new megan racing outlet? plz elaborate on this.. or should i go purchase an o2 sensor from a KA24DE "fatty" and use that instead?
I don't want to spread FUD: KA24DE o2 sensor only has one wire. IT WON'T WORK. I was just noting that it fits.

You'll need to tap it out. I'll post specs when I do mine.

Here's a few pics:

Λ Visual of stock fitting on MR elbow. Sorry for the shit pictures.

Λ Comparison of inlets. MR is much larger.

Λ Side by side look. The size of the MR elbow is more evident when looked at from the o2 sensor side (I didn't get that pic b/c my camera is a POS).
Old 11-03-2004, 07:23 AM   #14
mrmephistopheles

well shit.
that sucks. I wonder if the greddy fitting would work, and if it could be ordered seperately...
Old 11-03-2004, 09:22 AM   #15
rdoggins

rdoggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rdoggins
I went to the local auto parts store and picked one up to fit mine... it was a GM 3wire... $69
rdoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 09:56 AM   #16
mrmephistopheles

care to share the part number? also, how are you sure it's providing the same readings as your stock 02 sensor?
Old 11-03-2004, 10:31 AM   #17
rdoggins

rdoggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rdoggins
i can check it to see if there is a part number on it... I had the car tuned and haven't had any problems out of it...
rdoggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #18
JKim0901
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
JKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i bought one of those and didnt have a problem with mine, i have a s13 black top and i know the o2's are different from the red tops. so my input would be that the black top o2 fits in there without any modifications
JKim0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #19
sciamop
Zilvia Member

I just tapped out the supplied MR cap bolt:

13/32 Drill Bit
M12 x 1.5 tap

I haven't put the car back together yet; I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Todd
90 Coupe
93 Coupe
Old 11-03-2004, 07:13 PM   #20
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self-usmd-180sx is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
I just tapped out the supplied MR cap bolt:

13/32 Drill Bit
M12 x 1.5 tap

I haven't put the car back together yet; I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Todd
90 Coupe
93 Coupe
thanks for the valuable input todd.. cuz im in need of this answer.. im plannin on going to install the MR outlet pipe.. but whats the use of i cant hook up the o2 sensor when im doing so.. lol.. and plus im traveling 50+ miles away from home to install it too = (.. so lemme know how it goes..
Old 11-03-2004, 07:37 PM   #21
Touring240
Zilvia Junkie

Touring240 is on a distinguished road
I've been dealing with 02 sensors lately. I'm installing a new greddy 02 elbow on my red top. Here is what I have discovered:

87 300ZX 3.0L SOHC turbo 02 sensor
skinny
fits red top
bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13385
does not plug in you need to cut off the harness and solder yours on

86 200SX 1.8L turbo 02 sensor
fat type
fits black top
bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13276
plugs right in to factory harness

I'm using the 13276 because my greddy elbow is missing the adapter. I'm still having issues with the elbow though. My s15 auto turbo has 2 studs on the bottom on of which is too long and is preventing the elbow from going on Gonna take the dremel to it in the morning to cut the stud down.
Touring240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 08:55 PM   #22
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring240
I've been dealing with 02 sensors lately. I'm installing a new greddy 02 elbow on my red top. Here is what I have discovered:

87 300ZX 3.0L SOHC turbo 02 sensor
skinny
fits red top
bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13385
does not plug in you need to cut off the harness and solder yours on

86 200SX 1.8L turbo 02 sensor
fat type
fits black top
bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13276
plugs right in to factory harness

I'm using the 13276 because my greddy elbow is missing the adapter. I'm still having issues with the elbow though. My s15 auto turbo has 2 studs on the bottom on of which is too long and is preventing the elbow from going on Gonna take the dremel to it in the morning to cut the stud down.
thank you.. good info man.. very good.. might have answered most of our questions.. but another 1 hehe.. when u listed the o2 sensor for each 'top' u listed a o2 sensor with similair input.. like (i.e) the 87 300ZX 3.0L SOHC turbo 02 sensor.. thats the sensor i could use in replacement right? simliar fittings?? and then what is the bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13385? an o2 sensor in replacement for the one off the 300zx if it has gone bad?? little clarification plz
Old 11-03-2004, 09:39 PM   #23
element240
Zilvia Addict

element240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to element240
dude!
" bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13385 " is the part and part number that you can get from an auto parts store.. and it is the one that will fit the 1987 300zx and s13 redtop, little common sense man! lol

oh and good info touring240
element240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 10:15 PM   #24
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by element240
dude!
" bosch premium oxygen sensor # 13385 " is the part and part number that you can get from an auto parts store.. and it is the one that will fit the 1987 300zx and s13 redtop, little common sense man! lol

oh and good info touring240
(me) (element)
Old 11-04-2004, 09:46 AM   #25
sciamop
Zilvia Member

One more thing:

I just finished putting the elbow back on the car. It's running great:

-- Spool starts a little earlier but the power still comes on at 3K.
-- It's hitting 12+psi on my Autogage boost gauge a bit after 3K.
-- Mods: JWT Pop charger, MR Elbow, MR downpipe, gutted stock cat (hi-flow 3" cat goes in this weekend), Apexi N1 catback

One other thing that should be noted about this product:

The skinny o2 sensor barely makes it into the main chamber of the outlet. On the stock outlet, it was fully in the chamber.

Could this be a problem? Either way, I'm going to pull the bolt out and grind it down so the o2 will be in the flow.

-----

5-second Review: Cheap high-flowing elbow. No instructions. Requires some modification for o2 sensor. Good fitment in car. Chinese knock-off of GReedy unit. No divider wall. Decent quality. Welds are a bit sloppy. Unknown durability. Unknown flow capacity/dynamics.

Price: built4race on ebay: $85 shipped. built4race is Megan Racing's ebay outlet.

3.9 stars out of 5 (good value)

Todd

Last edited by sciamop; 11-04-2004 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: oops, had a loose IC pipe
Old 11-04-2004, 07:13 PM   #26
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I just finished putting the elbow back on the car. It's running great:

-- Spool starts a little earlier but the power still comes on at 3K.
-- It's hitting 12+psi on my Autogage boost gauge a bit after 3K.
-- Mods: JWT Pop charger, MR Elbow, MR downpipe, gutted stock cat (hi-flow 3" cat goes in this weekend), Apexi N1 catback

One other thing that should be noted about this product:

The skinny o2 sensor barely makes it into the main chamber of the outlet. On the stock outlet, it was fully in the chamber.

Could this be a problem? Either way, I'm going to pull the bolt out and grind it down so the o2 will be in the flow.

-----

5-second Review: Cheap high-flowing elbow. No instructions. Requires some modification for o2 sensor. Good fitment in car. Chinese knock-off of GReedy unit. No divider wall. Decent quality. Welds are a bit sloppy. Unknown durability. Unknown flow capacity/dynamics.

Price: built4race on ebay: $85 shipped. built4race is Megan Racing's ebay outlet.

3.9 stars out of 5 (good value)

Todd
did u have to solder your o2 sensor onto the new outlet pipe(bung) as stated above from somebody elses post? cuz that is what bothers me.. i might have a problem getting my new o2 sensor installed into the MR outlet pipe.. or is it not as complicated as im thinking it to be?
Old 11-04-2004, 09:41 PM   #27
Muzzy
Zilvia FREAK!

Muzzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Muzzy Send a message via Yahoo to Muzzy
lol solder your o2 sensor?!?! WTF?!? did u use that plumbers solder?? i think it will melt
Old 11-05-2004, 02:11 AM   #28
-usmd-180sx
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzy
lol solder your o2 sensor?!?! WTF?!? did u use that plumbers solder?? i think it will melt
lol.. i was referring to when someone stated that i would need to solder the adapter or harrness of the o2 sensor to the bung on the new outlet pipe..but as u can see.. i still have a lot of confusion about installing this o2 sensor onto this new unit..
Old 11-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #29
sciamop
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -usmd-180sx
lol.. i was referring to when someone stated that i would need to solder the adapter or harrness of the o2 sensor to the bung on the new outlet pipe..but as u can see.. i still have a lot of confusion about installing this o2 sensor onto this new unit..
Hey Bud, I PM'd you about this but to clarify:

-- You make a hole in the MR bolt with the 13/32 drill bit.
-- You put the M12 x 1.5 tap in the hole.
-- You screw the tap into the hole and it makes threads in the hole.
-- Screw the tap the way through the hole and unscrew it.
-- Voila. You can now screw your o2 sensor into the hole.

Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM   #30
msaskin
Zilvia Member

msaskin is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to msaskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmephistopheles
care to share the part number? also, how are you sure it's providing the same readings as your stock 02 sensor?
ALL o2 sensors work via what's called a nernst cell, and output what is called the Nernst scale. They're all the same, any o2 sensor from any car (save for ones with factory widebands) will work on any other car. Sure, you may run into other issues (1, 2, 3 wires), but so long as you splice the sensor wire in properly, it'll be fine. The other wires are for o2 sensor heaters, which increase response time (o2 sensors don't work when cold), but beyond that, the output is always the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info, taken from Bosch's website:
In 1899, Professor Walter Nernst, working in Leipzig, Germany, developed the theory of a "concentration cell" which, much like a battery, uses a gas-tight ceramic electrolyte that becomes electrically conductive above 625-650 degrees Fahrenheit. This "Nernst cell" transfers oxygen ions from "reference air" inside the cell to the outside environment--or from the outside environment to the reference air in the cell. This flow of ions generates measurable voltage reflecting the differencet in the oxygen content between the gas outside the sensor and the reference air inside the sensor.--Chuck Ruth, Bosch Corporation
~matt

'01 Ford Excursion Limited.
Powerstroke Diesel

Coming in spring: ???
msaskin is offline   Reply With Quote