Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-06-2004, 01:41 AM   #1
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
E-Manage 240sx Information

Ok suckers. To help enrich and enlighten the 240sx community on zilvia i'm posting this guide to e-manage tuning so nobody repeats my 450$ dyno session. Other's PLEASE ammend or add to this guide as my experience is not everyones and I'd appreciate another point of view.

E-manage is a piggy back engine management system so it needs to run on the stock ecu. It controls mafs, larger injectors, addtional injectors, injector duty cycle, and ignition timing.

To get all the nice features you need the laptop harness and software, or the profec e-01 boost controller, or the e-01 programmer.
These tools will unlock the 16x16 maps. E-manage can also moniter greddy warning gauges, as well as RECORD up to 3 hours of data (including tps, maf voltage, rpm, boost, and yes you can rig a wideband to it too!).

Stock is a 16x16 map so i'm told
S-AFC2 is a 12x12(?)

How to tune the maps is laid out by the e-manage and e-o1 instructions on mohdparts.com.

The large PROBLEM with the emanage is that is has trouble tuning on certain systems INCLUDING the 240sx. ECU's use the O2 sensor to sense the air fuel ratio and adds or subtracts fuel accordingly, until WOT when the ecu ignores the O2 signal and just runs a preprogrammed map.

The e-manage CANNOT tune the portion of the map that is being adjusted by the ECU + O2 sensor. They fight and the ECU always wins. I waste about 2 hours on a dyno attempting to tune this section.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:48 AM   #2
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Maeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura aboutMaeda has a spectacular aura about
TIPS & SOLUTIONS

There are a couple ways that I am aware of to SOLVE the PROBLEM.

1. Run in open loop like me
Unplug the first O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold/downpipe. The car will run like CRAP and your air fuel ratios will be way off. A lot of tuning will get it working again and boosting happily. This method works because the ECU just runs a preprogrammed map because there is NO O2 signal.

2. Run an O2 faker
Miata's need to do this. I havn't done this but know it can be done.
How it works is the O2 sensor is still plugged in but when boost is detected the O2 sensor give out a stable voltage. This stable voltage will force the ecu to give out just enough fuel for that voltage. You can tune this because the a/f ratio isn't dynamic anymore. Tuning like this will go MUCH faster and you won't toss check engine lights if you care about that at all.

3. Only Tune WOT
Give up and only tune the WOT part of the map. From what I can assume GReddy's turbo kits are tuned like this. NO partial throttle boost tuning! BEWARE! This is risky but is the simplest of the 3 solutions. I would never do this personally.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 AM   #3
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Record your dyno sessions for further adjustments.
You can add the input of a wide band by splicing it into a few places (more on this later as I learn more) and using the analog input feature this can be added to the display graphs.
When you use the record feature it will also play back the run on the 16x16 maps (throttle% vs RPM) so when you get home from the dyno and want to play more you can just read the O2's from a specific cell and adjust accordingly.

Run an atmospheric BOV
If you want to run a nice LOUD ricey atmpspheric BOV (like me) you can use the idle adjustment feature to keep your car from dying. The adjust feature substitutes maf voltages on off throttle for voltages you can input so the car does NOT dump fuel and kill the motor. Think about these voltages as a pillow to catch the needle from falling too fast. Get the thing in display mode with the maf voltage displayed. Hold the gas peddle down for about 600-1200 writing down the voltage for every 100 or so. Input these voltages into the idle adjust screen at the pertaining rpm and voila, your car won't die on every off throttle or BOV vent. The only side effect to this idle control is that it doesn't really work until the car's warmed up and it makes your idle a little strange.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

UPDATE!

In Japan a new GOLD Emanage was introduced...
There are a few new features that I don't really understand... BUT
What I do understand is now there is a real wideband input and the ability to have the fuel map adjust itself to a preset target A/F ratio!!!!!!

The best part is that all of us Blue Emanage uses can upgrade to Gold with a couple tricks.
If you are morally bankrupt or don't like the idea of supporting a company that makes great parts and provides ZERO customer service you can do it.

Wideband input will NOT work the pressure sensor or TPS so if you use both you're going to have to pick one to get rid of for the wideband.

Greddy now makes a O2 Signal faker in case you suck at making DIY electronics.
It attaches to the stock O2 wiring and then at a preset rpms (the rpm which boost kicks in preferably) it sends the ecu a steday fake O2 signal allowing the emanage to be tuned properly.
I wish they had this shit when I tuned mine. -_-
Old 04-15-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
dasalnt
Leaky Injector

dasalnt is a well-known jackass
hey maeda, where are you located? I'm in orange county and im really really tempted to pickup an e-manage. I've heard really mixed reviews everywhere but i believe this is a much better option then the safc. I plan on getting the emanage, ignition harness, map sensor & harness. Just wondering what setup you have and how do you like it? I also read that you said the sr20 o2 sensor and the emanage dont work well together and you mentioned a couple of ways to remedy the situation. Well, my car currently doesnt run an o2 sensor cuz the previous owner couldnt wire it up properly so i'm assuming i shouldnt have a problem with tuning? Where did you go to get yours tuned at?
dasalnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 06:54 PM   #6
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

You should have all the problems in the world tuning with no O2 sensor.
You basically have to reinvent the whole map from scratch.
It costs a lot of money (I did this already).

Emanage works great, but it's a huge commiment.
It's very very close to tuning and troubleshooting a standalone system.
That being said it also has almost all the perks of a standalone system.
It also costs 2x what a SAFCII does too...

Personally I love it. I would do it again.

Running it on...
S14 KA24DE
Z32 MAF
450cc DSM Injectors
NO O2 Sensors

Dyno tuned by Darren at RnD Dyno... 225 RWHP@4 psi, but its not done yet I just ran out of $$$.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
dasalnt
Leaky Injector

I assume your local to me then, cuz i went to rnd dyno when i had my mr2 turbo dynoed. How much is he charging per hour with wbo2 to tune your car? How many hours realistically do you think it will take to get your car tuned? Are you happy with RnD? Do you know if they have a lot of experience with the emanage? I'm assuming they dont since they tried to dyno your car for two hours with the o2 sensor in place. Are you running the greddy pressure sensor? I've been told that with the pressure sensor i wont need to run an upgraded maf, do you know if this is true? It would be great if we were local so we could help each other out.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
96twofourty
Zilvia Junkie

96twofourty is an unknown quantity at this point
do you think it would make a difference if you ran a wideband instead of the stock narrowband?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #9
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasalnt
I assume your local to me then, cuz i went to rnd dyno when i had my mr2 turbo dynoed. How much is he charging per hour with wbo2 to tune your car? How many hours realistically do you think it will take to get your car tuned? Are you happy with RnD? Do you know if they have a lot of experience with the emanage? I'm assuming they dont since they tried to dyno your car for two hours with the o2 sensor in place. Are you running the greddy pressure sensor? I've been told that with the pressure sensor i wont need to run an upgraded maf, do you know if this is true? It would be great if we were local so we could help each other out.
Pressure sensor you won't need a z32, but get the Z32. You will want the pressure sensor harness open for WBO2 Logging in the future.

RnD had zero experience tuning emanage when I came to them. I don't know if that's changed, but even sight unseen Darren could tune it(because he's the man). I love RnD and will be going back as soon as I can afford it....

My bill was 450$... and that was them being EXTREMELY cool(I took up like 5 hours of dyno time and they charged me for like half). You could get it tuned like I did (no o2) in probably 2-3 hours. I think they charge 150 an hour now?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96twofourty
do you think it would make a difference if you ran a wideband instead of the stock narrowband?
Why would it?
EVEN IF you used a wideband, the signal the ecu needs is narrowband, so you'd have to hook up the narrow band singal out and you'd have the same problems.

Get an O2 faker. It's the only way I can think of to keep the ecu running "normally."
Old 04-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #11
dasalnt
Leaky Injector

just wanted to clarify, did you have a wbo2 hooked up during the tuning so you could measure your a/f? I assumed you did, but from what you're posting that may not seem to be the case. Anyways, do you plan on going down there again anytime soon, i would be more then interested to go down to check it out and possibly get my car tuned if my emanage is installed.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:27 AM   #12
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

I did have a wideband at the dyno. If I had one now i'd be tuning my car.
Old 04-16-2005, 06:09 AM   #13
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
for wideband I'd say the PLX or Zeitronix controller, if you use e-manage, since the PLX completely replaces the O2 sensor signal going to your ECU and gives you wideband readings while sending the ECU the fake signal as John stated. wireless and still able to tune. Im not bashing John's input about the Greddy Gold system. Just tossing other variables to use in conjunction with e-manage blue. Another point is to retard your timing(i think). Greg from Speed Alliance is on the greddy turbo kit, using e-manage with the display and controller.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #14
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideview_180sx
for wideband I'd say the PLX or Zeitronix controller, if you use e-manage, since the PLX completely replaces the O2 sensor signal going to your ECU and gives you wideband readings while sending the ECU the fake signal as John stated. wireless and still able to tune. .
Wrongo. It does send the fake signal but it doesn't clamp the voltage of the narrowband signal, so you can use it to tune the closed loop portion.

You need in this situation
Wideband O2 with a narrowband out
O2 signal voltage clamp
Old 04-16-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
dasalnt
Leaky Injector

so going by the information you've posted, i would say the best setup would be to go ahead and get a plx wideband o2 cause it can have a wideband and narrowband ouput along with an o2 clamp like the one olderguy is selling on the miata boards. By using the o2 clamp, it will allow you to tune outside of wot without the ecu fighting with you. Sound about rite?
Old 04-16-2005, 12:35 PM   #16
Maeda
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasalnt
so going by the information you've posted, i would say the best setup would be to go ahead and get a plx wideband o2 cause it can have a wideband and narrowband ouput along with an o2 clamp like the one olderguy is selling on the miata boards. By using the o2 clamp, it will allow you to tune outside of wot without the ecu fighting with you. Sound about rite?
EXACTLY!

I need a wideband... anyone in socal wanna let me borrow one? I'll buy the sensor...