Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-23-2005, 04:43 AM   #1
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Sohc Ka-t

So, i've been mentally piecing my turbokit for my KA-ET, and was wondering what else am i missing? Take into consideration, im pretty new to boost. I know a few basics n crap, but still a noob, regardless. How about some decent input, and some opinions. It'll b much appreciated. PS, i advocate user rep!

Also, any personal opionions would be greatful. Just keep the flaming heat to a medium.

:EDIT: If you want SOHC buildup, PM me. :EDIT:

Missing anything else? IIRC, i can run this setup safely without a piggyback or standalone on stock boost. But feel free to correct if im wrong. Keep in mind those prices have been sniped out by myself thru friends and whatnot, so disregard them.

Last edited by SochBAT; 09-02-2005 at 08:00 PM..
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2005, 12:32 PM   #2
oldskoo240sxs13

Trader Rating: (0)
oldskoo240sxs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to oldskoo240sxs13
Skeet Skeet Skeet lol!!!!! better give me a ride when u get your set up done Che, i expect some super crash dummy action!!! after we can go get some Cambodian Breast Milk!!!!!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (11)
khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to khoadogg
don't forget oils, fittings, feed/return, exhaust piping, fuel management and a boost gauge. The T25 is toooooooooooooooo small for that HUGE 2.4L motor Get at least a T3 or even a T3 super 60 for the best.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 PM   #4
SochBAT
Post Whore!

SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Turbo oil return/feed likes = 15 http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/trboil.html where i also listed the oil lines

3" exhaust = 90 (?)

SAFC II = 250 (?)

most my knowledge is limited to reading, and watching, ergo, this would actually be my first turbo project. Any words of advice from you Zilvians? With this setup, im hoping i reach 220hp, but won't get sad if i don't. INPUT GUYS!!!

Last edited by SochBAT; 08-23-2005 at 01:06 PM..
Old 08-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

khoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of lightkhoadogg is a glorious beacon of light
$15 is just the fittings, you need the tap and actually LINE. Mines was $140
Old 08-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
s14dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
s14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14dude
you dont really need the FPR and fuel pump, the SAFC and 370's will provide enuf fuel on stock boost. I suggest either an S15 turbo or a T28 off the S14 SR. Those make some good boost, like khoadogg said, dont forget the boost guage. I would also get a water temp, EGT, and oil pressure guage. If you're going to up the boos to 10psi like u said. GET A WIDEBAND! most usefull tool for ur KA-T. Would't want u to blow shit up. Oh yeah, Cometic Headgasket too. I think thats it =)
Old 08-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #7
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

10psi is too much money. Just rock 5-7psi and call it a day. It'll be able to give STOCK sr's a run for their money. Keep in mind, i said, STOCK sr's
Old 08-23-2005, 01:38 PM   #8
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
hey dont forget the KA-T > SR bumper sticker

I'm glad more people are seeing the light! and going sohc turbo.

And when you get this is all setup take some pics.
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM   #9
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
You'll get her done no problem. Just dont rush it. Start piecing it together. Read as much as you can.

10psi should be fine on the SMIC but that's about it. Without the cam you can make 220whp@ 10psi. Make sure your exhaust is free flowing and has no extra bends, NO crush bends at all, and make sure it if it varies in size it only get bigger towards the tail. GOOD LUCK.!
Old 08-23-2005, 06:41 PM   #10
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
ditch the fpr and bov............. khoa is right just go for low boost, that should suffice ur wants....
infinitexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:51 PM   #11
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
anything done internally to the motor?
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
SochBAT
Post Whore!

rebuilt with 2k on it. Other than that, zeepo!
Old 08-23-2005, 07:01 PM   #13
Fat Felix
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
Fat Felix is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fat Felix
yes.. i'd say to go with a bigger turbo.. at least a t28 or something.. but 20 bucks for the t25 is pretty dope... except you'll probably be spooling the turbo just by idling.. you're gonna get such crappy gas mileage cuz you'll be boosting all the time.. hahahah.. j/k

i also vote on ditching the dumb hks bov socheat the ricer, and go with a 1g dsm unit. plus.. those are like 30 bucks on ebay. make your car run better and faster, except just no back firing.. damn. DSM bypass!!!!

and look into ditching that fpr stuff.. else you'd just be wasting money.

dont forget new exhaust gasket and i/c couplings and clamps and air filter.
how about heatshields??

will the stock MAF hold up?

don't forget towing fee's to muffler shop and stuff for exhaust.. unless the d/p you get is already made for your single cam ka-t.

how much boost are you planning on running? how much power are you planning on making initially?

and forget about a new cam.. get it setup and running and work out all the bugs first.

do you know how to tune with the safc2? might need to pay(if not money, then something more your style.. hahhahaha) someone for that.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #14
khoadogg
Nissanaholic!

i have a dsm bov and flange w/ piping i'll sell to you, check my for sale thread
Old 08-23-2005, 11:25 PM   #15
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Damn that's a small turbo for a 2.4L. Get a GT3071R or some other GT30 series.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:40 PM   #16
SochBAT
Post Whore!

So i guess its unanimous! Bigger Turbo!

T3/4 Hybrid? T28? The choices, the choices. More input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-24-2005, 12:10 AM   #17
ledzeppelin240
Zilvia Addict

ledzeppelin240 is a well-known jackass
I would keep the stock cam, you haven't changed valves or other parts to match it correctly. As for the turbo size, download some compressor maps and do some calculations. Size the turbo correctly and it will be what you want it to be...
Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.

Looking for: JDM S13 OEM Sideskirts
ledzeppelin240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 12:22 AM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Some sort of engine management would be good too.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:24 AM   #19
broken_s13
Zilvia Member

broken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enoughbroken_s13 will become famous soon enough
The most important thing you have to remember is to pay me when i do the install for you. Not in hamburgers either I NEED MONEY. SUPPORT THE CAUSE
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 AM   #20
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
Hahaha. True true. Support chantha man cuz he broke like a joke. Chantha, should i get 700+ injectors for the long run or just get 550s for now?

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:17 AM   #21
SochBAT
Post Whore!

THREAD STEALING WHORE!!! I think im going to stick to T25 for now, being as its only 20bucks. I'll upgrade later.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:00 PM   #22
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
id still rock the cam with stock head parts.. just dont be too happy with it.....just run the t25 till u see something better come along...
infinitexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:49 PM   #23
AN89HATCH
Zilvia Junkie

AN89HATCH is a well-known jackass
i got an modified sr side mount, that will bolt rite up to the sohc motor, all black for the sleeper look haha with stock bypass valve
Old 08-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #24
SochBAT
Post Whore!

And the price? Keep in mind, this is precautious staging. Im starting to piece things one by one, and was wondering if i should document this stuff for future preference?

Anyone else want a SOHC buildup?
Old 08-24-2005, 10:55 PM   #25
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
And the price? Keep in mind, this is precautious staging. Im starting to piece things one by one, and was wondering if i should document this stuff for future preference?

Anyone else want a SOHC buildup?
yea me i've been thinking about it for a few weeks now
DP_Michelle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 05:43 AM   #26
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Felix
how about heatshields??

will the stock MAF hold up?

how much boost are you planning on running? how much power are you planning on making initially?

do you know how to tune with the safc2? might need to pay(if not money, then something more your style.. hahhahaha) someone for that.
Im gettin them put around the turbo and all that goodness, someway to save my wiring n cylinders.
Stock MAF is good up to 250hp.
5-6psi, 220-250hp? 250 is a BestCaseScenario idea.

and i want to try n learn SAFC tuning.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:55 PM   #27
s14dude
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
s14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura abouts14dude has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s14dude
ill help u tune the SAFC, i know how to now. GET A WIDEBAND. haha, did i mention a wideband?

oh yeah, sell me ur T25 and get a T28 =)
Old 08-26-2005, 05:31 PM   #28
SochBAT
Post Whore!

t3/4 hybrid, SAFC1, and DP for 660. Sound good? Come down to my pad brando, we'll talk.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:23 PM   #29
KingKong8247
Zilvia Junkie

KingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of lightKingKong8247 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to KingKong8247
The injectors your getting are they the SR ones? I was always under the impression they dont fit becuase of side feed versus top feed.

Unless Im wrong Id just want to point that out to you so youd be aware.

If I am right Id suggest the the turbo 2 RX7 injectors like 470ccs or somehting
Old 08-26-2005, 09:59 PM   #30
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
yea you cant use the sr 370cc injectors, you need to use the one's from a ca. are you can just get some from a dsm or rx-7.
DP_Michelle G is offline   Reply With Quote