Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #1
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check out my new BIG BRAKES!! anyone else do this yet???

stock rear.

Sti rear Brembo with EVO rear rotor

and it BOLTS RIGHT UP!! it needs a 3mm spacer here for the correct offset, you need to trim/remove the dust cover thats all, the brembo brake line even screws right in!

For comparison.

I have the fronts going on too, but I need to machine a couple brackets, I had an extra set of the gold STI brembos, but Im close to certain the red EVO brembo calipers use the same bolt spacing. EVO take-off Brembos are pretty cheap, either from wreck part-outs or people upgrading, theres not a big market to sell them since all other EVO guys already have brembos so Ive seen whole sets front and rear sell for around $600! Im making a few sets of front brackets, let me know if anyone wants any
Krinkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #2
rancid240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (72)
rancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enoughrancid240 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 72 reviews
What you gonna do for ebrake?
rancid240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Krinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enoughKrinkov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid240
What you gonna do for ebrake?
gonna make a bracket to run a secondary wilwood cable E-brake caliper like the Ferraris do.

until then guess I'll be parking in gear like alot of the guys with Z32 rear swaps do that dont swap over the drum brake
Old 11-01-2005, 05:46 PM   #4
THX1138
Zilvia Member

THX1138 is an unknown quantity at this point
More importantly, how do you plan to bleed them? Unless you're gonna put the car on a rotisserie to bleed the brakes, make sure you switch those things side-to-side before you put it on the road.

Good call on the Wilwood spot caliper. I'm almost definitely gonna go that route whenever I get around to upgrading the rear brakes.
THX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 05:48 PM   #5
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
umm wat about the front?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #6
A Spec Products
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
A Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfectionA Spec Products is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to A Spec Products
very cool

i was gonna do this with a set of evo 8 brakes we have here, but never had time

keep us updated, thats nice, STI x EVO combined

is it installed upside down, i thought u need to install the bleeder facing up?

A SPEC PRODUCTS CORP
AME Wheels, Advan, ARC, Gram Lights, Nardi, Personal, Recaro, Works Bell, Work Wheels, Volk Racing, 5Zigen, & more!
626.618.1100 x 103 / aim: aspectuan
Advertiser's Specials! Read / Give Feedback! Please Rate Us!
A Spec Products is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
Cool, are STI/EVO brakes identical?

Because i'd have thought that 5x100 bolt pattern would have been a deterrant, but hey cool.

Still alot of work since there's no provision for e-brake, but if you want the bling, it's impressive.
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX1138
More importantly, how do you plan to bleed them? Unless you're gonna put the car on a rotisserie to bleed the brakes, make sure you switch those things side-to-side before you put it on the road.

Good call on the Wilwood spot caliper. I'm almost definitely gonna go that route whenever I get around to upgrading the rear brakes.
haha, these are just a mock up, only had the one caliper handy today but yes I have the right ones for the right sides, no point in running big rear brakes and stock front brakes untill I get the fronts installed
Old 11-01-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDACEX187
umm wat about the front?

umm did you even read the post?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #10
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
Cool, are STI/EVO brakes identical?

Because i'd have thought that 5x100 bolt pattern would have been a deterrant, but hey cool.

Still alot of work since there's no provision for e-brake, but if you want the bling, it's impressive.

you think having big brakes is is just for "bling"

and yes, you cant run the 04STI rotors since they are 5X100, the 05+ STI run the 5X114 but I dont know what the offset of those are, might get a set of those too to play around with, I'll keep this updated

Last edited by Krinkov; 11-01-2005 at 07:11 PM..
Old 11-01-2005, 07:30 PM   #11
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov
umm did you even read the post?
wat i tried to say is that why wont u get a weird brake balance if u have such big brakes in the rear and stock front? wat kind of master cylinder will u use?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:43 PM   #12
SirWarrior
Zilvia Addict

SirWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice write up.
But I already went the Z32 route and my S14 came with Z32s already on them.
But its good to see someone out there is actually thinking outside the box
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #13
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
wat i tried to say is that why wont u get a weird brake balance if u have such big brakes in the rear and stock front? wat kind of master cylinder will u use?
he said it in the first post

Quote:
I have the fronts going on too, but I need to machine a couple brackets, I had an extra set of the gold STI brembos, but Im close to certain the red EVO brembo calipers use the same bolt spacing.
interesting swap. its nice to know we have yet another option.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #14
kingsol
Zilvia FREAK!

kingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enoughkingsol will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to kingsol
props for trying something new. can't wait till everything is figured out.

There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better for worse as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.
-Emerson
kingsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:56 PM   #15
black s13
Zilvia Junkie

black s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to black s13 Send a message via Yahoo to black s13
Quote:
so you really didnt read the post?

he went over it at least twice.

props, looks good. i was working on my friends STi this evening and wondered how difficult it would be to swap the brakes.
black s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #16
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWarrior
Nice write up.
But I already went the Z32 route and my S14 came with Z32s already on them.
But its good to see someone out there is actually thinking outside the box
thanks, this inst quite a "write up" just yet, just excited and thought I would post this first, I'll probably do a full write up when I get the fronts sorted and figure out what Im going to do for an E-brake. I was looking at front/rear Z32s to begin with but if all goes well I might be able to pull this off for close to what you could usually find Z32 front/rears for, and since both my other two cars run these same Brembos, Im a bit partial to them
Old 11-01-2005, 08:37 PM   #17
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
*subscribes*

wow, good to know.
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:16 AM   #18
NZO
Zilvia FREAK!

NZO is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to NZO
Uh oh Jeremy is into nissans now. Dangerous...

sentinelguild.com/nzo/PFCDB/
NZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #19
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
very nice keep us updated

Last edited by DP_Michelle G; 11-02-2005 at 12:22 AM.. Reason: i can't spell for shit tonite sleepie
DP_Michelle G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #20
Supreme
Leaky Injector

Supreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Supreme
Other than the bolt pattern of the 04 sti, evo/sti brembos are the same. Only thing is EVO brembos are easier to find, the sti brembos sell FAST to ej20 owners. They both use the same exact pads with 4 pot front/2 pot rear.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #21
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Looks like you'd need a rotor eccentric ring. What size pison are those in comparison with z32 rears? and weight?
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #22
Supreme
Leaky Injector

Supreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Supreme
Oh and if your able, replace those rotors with Powerslot/Rotora/StopTech/Endless/P.MU or whichever floats your boat, their not the best durability wise and youll have to do it later anyway.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:15 AM   #23
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme
Other than the bolt pattern of the 04 sti, evo/sti brembos are the same. Only thing is EVO brembos are easier to find, the sti brembos sell FAST to ej20 owners. They both use the same exact pads with 4 pot front/2 pot rear.
well they are very close but there are slight differences,
EVO rotors
Front = 320mm
Rear = 300mm

STI
Front = 326mm
Rear = 316mm

another interesting note is that the EVO front rotors are 32mm wide whereas the STI fronts are 30mm wide. They use the same Brembo caliper but the EVO actually uses 1mm skinnier brake pads! so you can use EVO pads on STI and just be short a bit of pad life(Ive dont this on my STI) but you cant use STI pads on an EVO unless you turn the rotors down 2mm. Some companies, Like EBC, only make one part number for EVO and STI pads and just cheat STI guys out of 1mm on each pad, lol.

One other difference in the fronts, besides the diameter, is the hat height(offset) the STI(53mm) is almost identical to the 300ZX(54mm) whereas the EVO is 43.5mm. Since Im designing custom brackets anyways, I can make them to whatever offseet they need to be to fit, though all things being equal, the EVO rotors will move the Brembo caliper about 10mm closer to the wheel than the STI or Z32 rotors, so that could be a clearance problem depending on what wheel your running, the best combo might be EVO rear rotors and 05+ STI(%X114) front calipers to keep the offset as close to stock as possible, and they're 6mm bigger to boot!
Old 11-02-2005, 07:36 AM   #24
Angel
Zilvia Junkie

Angel is making a name for him/her selfAngel is making a name for him/her selfAngel is making a name for him/her self
Just subscribed.
Kepp us updated for sure. Now to make off with the brakes from one of my coworker's evos here at the shop
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #25
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
stock rear.

Sweet Jeebus that's a skinny exhaust!

Good work with the install.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #26
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
gonna make a bracket to run a secondary wilwood cable E-brake caliper like the Ferraris do.

until then guess I'll be parking in gear like alot of the guys with Z32 rear swaps do that dont swap over the drum brake
It seems like this company is way ahead of you...
http://arizonazcar.com/240sxbrakes.html
Old 11-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #27
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
id hope the hat area is sitting againts the hubs or thats some nasty flemingo action..

I say screw the wilwood brakes, tahts extra crap to put in the conversion, *not to mention added weight and lines* just put a hydrolic ebrake level that connects to the rear brake lines.

So what brake master cylinder are you going to swap? Id asume u where going to change that too... I wonder how bad the brake bias will be...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:35 AM   #28
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVinnie
It seems like this company is way ahead of you...
http://arizonazcar.com/240sxbrakes.html
That has nothing to do with what he has planned. His idea was to use Wilwoods strictly as a secondary caliper for the ebrake, not the replace the OE caliper.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #29
BigVinnie
Zilvia FREAK!

BigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfectionBigVinnie is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by R240NA
That has nothing to do with what he has planned. His idea was to use Wilwoods strictly as a secondary caliper for the ebrake, not the replace the OE caliper.
My bad didn't notice he was going to use it for strictly E-Braking.......
Old 11-02-2005, 11:15 AM   #30
Krinkov
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZO
Uh oh Jeremy is into nissans now. Dangerous...
LOL, thought I would find you over here!

I'll still keep a flying Subaru or two though, lol