Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
idiot goes sideways
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
idiot goes sideways is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question sex drugs and swirl pot`s

the question is simple,
how to install a swirl pot in a ca18det s13?

i know how it works on cars like an Cosworth with an "expansion tank" in their cooling system.

YES the s13 has also an "expansion tank", but its not like the cosworth its more like a passive one on the s13.

SORRY FOR THAT VERY BAD TRANSLATING BUT ITS HARD FOR ME TO TRANSLATE TECHNICAL WORDS, PLEASE BEAR IT,
SO LETS CONTINUE OUR LITTLE FUNNY CONVERSATION WITH OUR LITTLE "ENGLISH SPEAKING WONDERBOY" (me)

besides i found two types of swirl pots,

one with just two piping fittings and a breather, like bailey`s

and the second one with a radiator cap, like greddy

i think i need the second one but how should I install it and how would it work????

Good driver's have the flys on the side-windows and Swirl Pots under their hood. My driving sucks, the Swirl Pot won't help but I want it!
idiot goes sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 PM   #2
theicecreamdan
Post Whore!

theicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfectiontheicecreamdan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to theicecreamdan
pictures?
theicecreamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #3
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Surge tank?
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
s13silvia03
Zilvia Addict

Location: PA.....I always thought that dogs...umm...layed eggs, and I learned something today
s13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud ofs13silvia03 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to s13silvia03
are you talking about this?
Old 12-27-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
wee works great
i have one on my car. its fantastic i love it
even my daily will get one. best mod for the money imo

mine's on the left. greddy unit. hecka cheap

how to hook up
there are 4 plus on the tank
3 top, onestraight down

top top goes to the overflow tank
the other two:
to the radiator plug (whre the overflow used to go)
other to the bleeder screw plug (greddy comes w/ the screw w/ a nipple on end to fit perfect)
lowest (bottom) goes to radator hose (lower) andfeeds water back into system

basically
the one that goes from bleeder is always bleeding AIR into the tank
the water goes back into the system going down (meaning air wont get back in once it goes thru bleeder

meaning: your system is always getting bled no more air bubbles ladies. = always cooooooler

makes draining and refilling syhstem easier (faster to bleed less work for me)

and when you 'refill your rdiator' you do it from the air separator.

its elementary my dear boy.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
oooo wait correct me if i am wrong, but:
1. it replaces the overflow tank?
2. its called a surge tank right? the pic that s13silvia03 posted.
3. is the hook up for the sr the same?

this looks like a great mod in terms or reliability and performance! i want one too!
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:08 PM   #7
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
no still have overflow
surge tank? ive heard both surge and air separator tank
yes see my car, i have the same one
greddy kit comes with everything you need minus the piece to get into lower hose (need to cut and insert like i didw/ my upper hose w/ the water temp sensor--oops cant see in that pic)
Old 12-27-2005, 09:44 PM   #8
hellion240sx
Zilvia FREAK!

hellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enoughhellion240sx will become famous soon enough
so is it surge or air separator?
dousna where is your overflow tank? i don't see it in the pic? it must be off to the side then.

please gie us another pic.
hellion240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

its on the left of the pic, kinda cut off on edge but not really. follow the blue hose.

greddy air separator

people call it both/either.
Old 12-27-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
crioten
"buddy jesus"

crioten is making a name for him/her selfcrioten is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to crioten
is it engine specific, or a universal piece?

any chance you could post a pic of what your talking about of this --> "the piece to get into lower hose (need to cut and insert like i didw/ my upper hose w/ the water temp sensor--oops cant see in that pic)"
I'd rather take the bus with a bus-full of AIDS infected naked rape convicts than drive a VW.
crioten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 11:18 PM   #11
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

no its not
should be universal

u can see water temp deal here. on the upper hose to rad. the blue thing
u do same w/ lower hose. easy as pie.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:28 AM   #12
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
A surge tank is something used in conjunction with the intake manifold for when your turbo "surges"
Turbo surge, is when the pressure difference in between your exhaust wheel and the compressor wheel is so close to equal that turbo loses its ability to boost temporarily. This will make your boost 'flutter' several psi and cause an obvious loss of power. This condition happens on turbos which are spinning incredibly fast or are producing a lot of horsepower. Atleast this is what I have come to understand and is possibly wrong, its hard to find much to read on this and I need to get those damn Corky Bell books. A surge tank keeps a resvoir of pressure almost helping smooth the pressure instability within the intake manifold. I THINK = /
Old 12-28-2005, 12:58 AM   #13
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot
A surge tank is something used in conjunction with the intake manifold for when your turbo "surges"
Turbo surge, is when the pressure difference in between your exhaust wheel and the compressor wheel is so close to equal that turbo loses its ability to boost temporarily. This will make your boost 'flutter' several psi and cause an obvious loss of power. This condition happens on turbos which are spinning incredibly fast or are producing a lot of horsepower. Atleast this is what I have come to understand and is possibly wrong, its hard to find much to read on this and I need to get those damn Corky Bell books. A surge tank keeps a resvoir of pressure almost helping smooth the pressure instability within the intake manifold. I THINK = /
I think you just explained compressor surge

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 01:02 AM   #14
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
yes I did =) [did I do a decent job?...]
Hellion240sx was asking if it were a surge tank, and I was assuming he was confusing the two because they both look pretty similar. Thats an expansion tank not a surge tank =)
Old 12-29-2005, 12:56 PM   #15
idiot goes sideways
Leaky Injector

idiot goes sideways is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks,
you all helped me a lot,
i think i take greddy.
idiot goes sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 04:34 PM   #16
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Who sells these things? I have tried Surge Tank and Air separator tank and only get greddy's intake manifolds.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:02 PM   #17
wootwoot
Post Whore!

Expansion tank punched into Google

http://www.optionimports.com/grrabrtascap.html
http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...d=4431&osCsid=...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Always the last thing I think of...

Thanks.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
S14DB
AFC #1

I found one on a certain online auction site:

Are they all created equal? This one comes with a lot more stuff than the Greddy one doesn't seem to come with anything.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #20
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

NO!!
it is the EXACT same as the greddy
Greddy came with the EXACT SAME parts haha..
minus the d1 markup?? dont know how much is that thing?
then agin i didnt pay retail for greddy so god knows how much it costs.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #21
S14DB
AFC #1

$80
Greddy is $100-110

Don't get me started on how much SARD is...
Old 01-03-2006, 06:11 PM   #22
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

not bad at all
GET THEM FOLKS
i highly recommend them for KA/SR/RB/you mom
whatever u have

im going to get one for my stock KA
bleeding the system is kids stuff
and its always bled no little blubbles floating around. and u can drive and it bleeds for you. just refill later.
make sure you put it higher then the head though (top nipple)
so it will let gravity do the work.

i put mine against the strut tower
no clutch fan? i'd put it against the head bolt it there somehow or off raidator
Old 01-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #23
S14DB
AFC #1

Yeah, it seems that KA-T's have a air problem when it comes to the water lines to the turbo.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:07 PM   #24
wootwoot
Post Whore!

What'd you search for on this "online auction site"?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #25
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
I typed in, "Breather Tank" and found it.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 PM   #26
S14DB
AFC #1

Search for "Bubble Removal TANK"
Old 01-24-2006, 07:32 PM   #27
Chasmoore04
Zilvia Junkie

Chasmoore04 is making a name for him/her selfChasmoore04 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to Chasmoore04 Send a message via Yahoo to Chasmoore04
Do you have to keep filling it up, or once it is bled, it is good?
Chasmoore04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 07:51 PM   #28
drftwerks
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
drftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfectiondrftwerks is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drftwerks Send a message via MSN to drftwerks
so ou can use this for a V mount setup to fil the coolant??
Old 01-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #29
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmoore04
Do you have to keep filling it up, or once it is bled, it is good?
Once it's installed, you don't really do anything different except fill the coolant from the surge tank instead of the radiator. Canton, Moroso, and a bunch of other domestic companies make em if you don't want to pay the JDM markup. My Canton tank also uses NPT fittings where most of the JDM ones are just the clamp on type.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:36 PM   #30
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftwerks
so ou can use this for a V mount setup to fil the coolant??

YES!!
definiately!!