Thread: Ka24det FAQ
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 12:48 AM   #52
shane_lxi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
shane_lxi is an unknown quantity at this point
This question was asked, and answered in a different form then I was looking for earlier. There are plenty of s14 turbos out there, boost designs, hks, xs, and elcheapo ebay kit. I drive a '90 s13 with a ka24de swapped into it. Now, the only issue making the s14 turbo not work with a s13 is clearace issues with the engine bay (atleast that's what I gathered from the earlier post). I got advice on another forum to piece together my own turbo frankenstein style. I have read atleast 7 threads on how turbos work, the cycles of turbo etc etc. I know enough about how turbos work, but I have no way to be sure I have the ability/knowledge to piece together my own turbo. With my luck I would forget something, and get bad rodknock, or blow my motor.

* Would I be able to buy a turbo kit for the s14, and buy some parts to elimintate clearance issues?
* What are all the parts I'd need to frankenstein a kit, and where can I buy each piece?
* Is it more cost effective to swap in a jdm motor (sr20 or ca18) then to turbo my ka?

I do not aspire to gain insane boost levels simply peicing together a makeshift el cheapo kit. I just want a base to build off, to get started. So I don't need the best crap on to start out, but I don't want to sacrifice every ounce of quality to put a kit together for $700. I know tuning is expensive. Thank you, and flame if you must, just a boost n00b with a question.