View Single Post
Old 04-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #16
jmauld
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
jmauld is making a name for him/her selfjmauld is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to jmauld
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead_42
When Munch says:

he obviously has had the top nut loosen on him, yes? Since you can't torque a strut nut without holding the shaft fixed, a light application of impact is a good way to snug the nut. Notice I did not tell him to get the biggest impact he could find and torque the piss out of the thing till the piston shaft spins like a top...

If you have a reliable DIY method to grip the piston shaft without damaging it, please post it so we can use your method next time.
Good shocks come with a smaller nut built into the top of the strut shaft. That's the proper way to tighten them. When I've used struts that didn't have that feature, I always retightened the upper nut after a few drives and I've never had them work their way loose afterwards.

If you impact the top nut, you risk damaging the seal that keeps the struts from leaking. If the strut has an adjuster mechanism that is accessible from the top of the strut, then you also risk breaking that rod that runs through the shaft.

To the original poster. The top hat needs to be able to rotate without binding. Jack the car up and watch your suspension as the steering wheel turns, you'll see why. If it's binding, something is wrong, and needs to be fixed since you could also be binding the strut shaft.