View Single Post
Old 08-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #47
babowc
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
babowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfectionbabowc is close to perfection
haha,
I tried this at home with a single stage piece-of-shit ebay paint.

It was DEFINITELY a learning experience!
I fucked up here and there, and my gun being a piece of crap didn't help much either!

I used a 1.4mm tip on a single stage paint.. I thought that's what you're supposed to use, but it didn't spray completely "cigar", so i have a few spots where it's darker than the other. Keep in mind this was: "Cherry red metallic" color. Which was bullshit to the max, because it was more PINK than Cherry Red!

The final result was an utter shit (color wise) IMHO, but i'll have to live with it (or the buyer will have to live with it). I prepped as best as I can, but didn't have alot of tools to make it easier.

For instance, on pulling dents out on the body, I wished I had a stud welder, but it was way too expensive for the budget I'd set aside for the paint + materials. I had leftover PPG LACQUER primer and just used that.
Worked decent, and this was a very budgeted paint job.

Main things I learned by doing this was the painting technique, not stopping the spray in middle of the body (where it'd build up/runs) and that I dont necessarily have to sand the shit out of the primer to make it 100% flat. Paint still covered the 280/320 grit sandpaper marks I had left behind. I actually wet-sanded the primer with 1500 in vain, because there was no difference!

Also.. some kind of enclosement and proper ventilation is a MUST! I had bugs and shit fly into my paint because I painted outside without any tarps for a makeshift booth. VENT is a must! Dont paint without it!