View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #202
CursedGTR
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
CursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfectionCursedGTR is close to perfection
Another boring yet somewhat decent update.
First off, I made some repairs to the fiberglass body kit (minor cracks and dings) which caused it to be a little bit off, so I spent most of the day perfecting my little repairs in order to ensure everything fit and lined up correctly. I still have some work to go with custom headlight brackets and some other things but for the most part it is lined up and ready to go.
John Pullen over at Sobe Power and Speed made a really trick intercooler mount for me, which consisted of welding two 19mm thick blocks of aluminum to the bottom of the intercooler and tapping them for 10mm bolts. I took the measurements and made the templates. However, I kind of fucked up the templates so the mounts are a bit off. We remeasured everything today and he is turning out some new ones so they will be balls on come this week. I learned a little bit about taking measurements in degrees and millimeters today, which I will ensure I use in the future.

For those of you who may ask me in the future, absolutely anything that requires truly custom and perfect machine work. I use John Pullen at Sobe Power and Speed (here in Okinawa). He has an imagination and ability to visualize what you are talking about and delivers an outstanding result within a very reasonable turn around time.

The Intercooler mount utilizes two T6 Aluminum Spacers that are 10mm thick and cut to the contour of the botton of the Tension Rod Brackets at the front (Where they mount to the bottom of the core support). This enables everything to be even. Then another T6 Aluminum 10mm thick plate is used to kick out perpendicular to the core support and bolt into the blocks on the bottom of the intercooler. Then, a final 10mm plate is used to sandwich the long brackets into place at the subframe. There is also a sandwich plate for the blocks on the intercooler, but since the alignment was a little bit off I could not depict them. Next week, when I have everything dead on, I will be able to show pictures of it successfully being implemented. I figured, very few people would ever use a mounting system this in detail, but now that I have had a taste of what it will be like, it is impossible for me to even consider any other route.
Also, I had some SPL Aluminum Diff Bushings (Front) that were pretty much useless. John went ahead and machined them down to the specs I provided him and we ended up turning them into Aluminum Radiator Bushings. Alot of people have asked about them rattling when driving, but that should be mitigated by a small rubber insulator that I will put in at a later date.
As Usual, Pics below.

Bushings Before being machined

Bushings After

Coolers in place (they will be taken out again soon)