View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 12:07 AM   #12
240racer
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
240racer is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DamnedButDetermined
Very true, but a high revving engine will always have a higher top speed than a low revving engine with the same gearset. That is assumming, that the engine has more power that then air resistance.

I didn't completely understand everything 240racer said, but he seems to know his shizot!

SPECIAL REQUEST: 240racer, Please explain your poste a little bit more.

thanks,
DbD

P.S. Very good question DSC
There is one thing I forgot, I didn't answer the question correctly. DSC asked what the difference was if they had the same power, and I kinda went with the assumption that the two hypothetical engines had the same torque at the two different rpm ranges. So I'll explain my post in a minute but let me first try to answer his question assuming we had two engines making similar power at those rpms.
The main problem with having only a 2000rpm band at the higher rpm is that it is less percent difference, so it's actually a narrower powerband. This means that you would need a closer ratio transmission. The other thing comes down to cost. The lighter pistons that are required to run higher rpms with similar stroke cost more. You could lower the stroke, but that would cause a reduction at all rpms, not just lower ones. However, if you had a higher compression ratio (either through forced induction or static compression ratio change) then you would make more torque at any given rpm and you could lower the stroke without sacrificing torque loss. Then you could raise rpm's since there is less reciprocating inetria, and if you could keep the torque up, then you could make more power.

'88 Celica All-Trac turbo
stock, but no more ecu codes!!
240racer is offline   Reply With Quote