View Single Post
Old 01-15-2003, 10:10 AM   #15
uiuc240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
uiuc240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to uiuc240
Quote:
A question I get asked a good ammount (and never really have an answer for) is the reason for high revs. If you have a 2000rpm powerband that produces the same amount of power, why does it matter how many rpm's you get the power?

powerband of 8000-10,000
vs.
powerband of 4000-6000

Why would one be better than the other?
240racer said it: percentage. That's the simple answer. A powerband from 4000-6000 is *longer* than a powerband from 8000-10000.

However, I'd like to add some other things for argument's sake. The engine with the higher powerband is also going to experience MUCH higher piston speeds, therefore increasing wear on internal parts, and decreasing reliability (more friction, more heat, less time between power pulses, etc, etc.)

F1 engines rev REALLY high because that's the most effective way to make NA power if restricted by displacement (simple math...more rpm = more hp). But, because of this, the engines barely make one race (however, that's not saying much, since neither do NASCAR, Indy, etc. cars).

But to answer the *original* question....neither is "better." If you have the right gears, the shorter band (up high) is great...and good for controlling wheelspin and power delivery. If you have less gears, the wider, lower powerband is better. Point is, if you change the powerband, it's WISE to change the gears. Hence the reason I want a J30 3.916:1 rear end....

Eric