View Single Post
Old 02-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #283
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krinkov View Post
You're right, alot of the Z06 guys that track them switch them out to stoptechs, though the biggest gripe with the brakes is the rotors. GM saved 10 cents by using the same directional vented rotor on both sides, so one side is vented correctly,directs heat out of the rotor, and the other side vents heat INTO the rotor. Way to go GM
Needless to say the right rotors crack after a couple track days. Im using Racing Brake 2-piece rotors so thats not an issue. The other two problems are some what minor, the stock pads are crap for track use, but what do you expect, and having 6 little pads, like the Endless brakes, instead of 2 big ones makes for a bit more headaches swapping them out for track days. Also the screw in pins that hold the pads in use a hex head fitting that are difficult to get out after a track session if seize up, racing brack also sells an upgraded set of pins with a 10mm head that is much easier to service.

All in all, I think the fuss over the Z06 brakes was a bit overinflated. If you upgraded the pads/rotors/pins on the Z06 brakes for less than a grand you would get about 90% of the performance of the $6K Stoptech setup. And again, this would only be something that the hardcore road racer would find issue with, on the street and backroads these brakes work and feel great no matter what, but theres some ballers on the Z06 forums that can afford to throw out perfectly good parts and drop many thousand to chase that extra couple of tenths. For fun check out some of the Dubai members threads
Great feedback on the c6 stuff. I've read up about upgrading to c6 z06 parts on the c5 z06, but went with a nice set of Baer 2 piece rotors with stock calipers/nice pads because I found it used for cheap

The reason they went with 6 little pads is because single pads that are that long have a tendency to warp (under serious load), making the pad sit unevenly on the rotor and killing the pad prematurely... for instance, Suzuki used identical calipers and rotors on the 03 gsxr1k as the 04+ gsxr1k, but the 03's work better/last longer under abuse because they are 4 piston/4 pad instead of 4 piston/2 pad (per side). Sure sucks about the vents being identical/one facing the wrong way though.

Anyhow, great thread, and thanks for keeping everyone updated

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote