View Single Post
Old 01-31-2003, 12:36 AM   #2
AceInHole
Autox Technician

Trader Rating: (0)
AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
From The Tire Rack
Quote:
The first time a competition tire is used is the most important. During that run, its tread compound is stretched, some of the weaker bonds between the rubber molecules will be broken (which generates some of the heat). If the tires are initially run too hard or too long, some of the stronger bonds will also be broken which will reduces the tire's grip and wear qualities. Running new tires through an easy heat cycle first, and allowing them to relax allows the rubber bonds to relink in a more uniform manner than they were originally manufactured. It actually makes them more consistent in strength and more resistant to loosing their strength the next time they are used. An important heat cycling step is that after being brought up to temperature, the tires require a minimum of 24 to 48 hours to relax and reform the bonds between their rubber molecules.
Speculation time:
So... if that applies to the tires beyond the first runs, as you heat cycle the tire, eventually the stronger molecule bonds will break and your tire will not grip as well as it did before. For R compound or competition tires, it's fairly obvious that they would be more succeptible to the unwanted affects of heat cycling, and hard track days with intense heat cycles would have the greatest impact (wearing the tire physically both by stresses from intense force and heat). How long the tire lasts would most likely depend on how strong the molecule bonds are..... which depends on how soft the tire is.... which we all know is very soft for R/ competition tires.

Yeah... I know I'm supposed to be sleeping, but guess what... I cleaned off more of the head. Can't go to class tomorrow without a clean head if you know what I mean.

Last edited by AceInHole; 01-31-2003 at 12:39 AM..
AceInHole is offline   Reply With Quote