View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM   #50
turboh224g
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (4)
turboh224g is making a name for him/her selfturboh224g is making a name for him/her self
build

Ok, it has been a while since I last posted. Been busy building. As far as the welder I am using, mostly MILLER 135, mig, 75/25 argon/CO2, 110 power, .030 wire for most and .024 for the sheet. Also have a generic tig/plasma setup. Not using that much right now but will tig the stainless tubing. This is my first rollcage. I have definately learned a lot. I know that it is by no means perfect but I am happy with the overall result. The X-bars were very difficult. My cheap tubing notcher only goes to 45 degrees and the x-bars are around 60 degrees. That meant a lot of hand notching. By the end I was getting much better and faster. There have been several comments on the amount of stitch welding/chasis stifening we are doing, I just want to clarify. We are building this car on a very strict $10,000 budget with the overall goal of creating a competative car ( with the right driver, not me ). We do not want to have to rebuild this car anytime soon. With that in mind we are probably going overboard to create a chasis that will hopefully stand up to the abuse of regular track days and regular competition. Perhaps we are dreaming big but can you blame us. Thanks for all the support,
JKP
turboh224g is offline   Reply With Quote