View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #358
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta240 View Post
I never thought of that. How is the rack centered?
You count the turns, generallly with the rack out of the car, and figure out where center is. This really takes more skill and patience than you would think. Then you make sure the steering wheel is centered before you connect the lower steering shaft coupler to the rack. Once everything is centered you connect the coupler to the rack. Now BEFORE you tighten everything down 100% check the turns on the steering wheel to verify that the rack is centered and the steering shaft coupler is in the correct position. If it is off then you move the coupler one tooth in whatever direction is necessary untill you get it right. Keep in mind that on s-13's (and probably s-14's too) the steering wheel always seems to be off 1/2 tooth for some reason. I fought with mine for like 2 hrs before I realized that.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote