View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #632
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiisass View Post
It's not just tension, it's compression as well. And with stock bushings, there needs to be some resistance to buckling and bending due to how the bushing loads. I'm not saying that that bracing it really necessary, but it can increase the strength of the arm.

Any arm that does not have rod ends/spherical bearing at both ends is not a pure tension/compression member. Even a pure tension compression member needs to have resistance to buckling, but there would be no moment generated at the mounting point becasue of the bushings.
Yeah I guess you are right in saying that they aren't pure tension/compression members unless you have spherical bearings, but either way, I still think that the gusseting that he added as useless. Check out the way that other poster's arm failed. What happened there is that the really stiff bushing produced more bending moment at the bushing housing weld.

I guess I just don't get why people are going through all the trouble to box, paint, and add stiffer bushings when the clear better solution is to just buy some quality arms with heims.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote