View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 04:10 PM   #132
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I think you guys are getting a little crazy in this thread.

I'm thinking 200whp is possible, but much beyond that is speculation for a street build. In order to make more power, you're not going to want to stroke it, because that will kill the revs, and you'll need those, especially with the big cams they make for the KA. You'll have to get custom cams from Crower or somebody if you want to make big NA power with the the ultra-low rpm 2.6liter KA.

In fact, you'll probably want to move the wrist pin farther up in the piston, and use longer rods for a better rod ratio. Ring lands don't have to be as thick in an NA engine as in turbo engines.
The thing about the BC 2.65 litre stroker crank is that it is balanced. There should be no problem with 7,000 rpm with that crank and that is plenty of RPM. Since crower makes the stroker kit I am sure they have off the shelf cams for that application as well. Big power is not the most important thing if you are building a N/A ka because the turbo motors will always have an advantage over you there. You wanna concentrate on what the turbos DON'T have, and that is torque and engine response. A stroker kit will significantly increase torque and response and that is where a N/A motor shines. If you bore the shit out of it as well and re-do the combustion chambers a bit that will help the rod ratio and square the motor up a bit more. From my experience with longrods on the 4AG's it really doesn't make much of a difference and can be a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Obviously up the compression ratio to 11:1 or so. Maybe a little higher if you plan to run E85. But hey, you'll need custom pistons if you want to move the wrist pin anyway.

You'll want to bore it out a little, obviously. Just don't go too far, or the combustion chamber will need a serious working over.

Streamline the ports, get bigger valves, and most likely get a custom intake manifold, or ITB's if that's what you want to do. just make sure you size the runner's length and width right. Do some research on that.

I would then coat the combustion chambers, piston crowns, and exhaust ports with SwainTechs TBC. Yes, it's proven to make more power, because it keeps more heat in the combustion chamber, instead of transferring to your head. Your engine will also run cooler as a result.

Get a metal head gasket. It's just common sense.

Then you're going to want (at least) a DC sports racing header. If you're big into the NA, then getting a custom one will probably yield better gains, especially if you have ITB's, different cams, and bigger ports. Cams dictate a lot of header design. I would ceramic coat that just because it keeps the engine bay a little cooler, which is important, especially if you're running ITB's with no air ducting.

Then, a full 3 inch exhaust would be a good choice, especially since you should be flowing a lot more air than a stock KA, and even stock KA's love 3 inch exhausts. If you want to be nice to the environment, you could run a 3 inch catalytic converter as well.

I think that would probably net you around 225+whp. You have to remember the DOHC KA only makes about 130ish whp stock. Also, these are the same things you would do to any engine if you were building it to make more power. It's really not that hard. There is no magic to making the KA make more power.
This info and estimated HP is pretty damn correct, +1 for you.

Quote:
I also like how this thread started with someone asking about gearing and header flanges.
Ya it has TOTALLY gotten out of hand and off topic in the last couple pages.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote