View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 11:44 PM   #748
Clowny
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Clowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to beholdClowny is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Clowny Send a message via Yahoo to Clowny
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^ Haha, ok. True, if you fed fuel into the "turbine" housing, you could create thrust... What are you planning on propelling? How will you mount the turbo?

You could probably move, say, a model car with that...
right now my buddies and I are cutting and re welding a gokart chassis to mount the jet on. it wont snap your head back with acceleration, but it should move along just fine. I havent built a thrust meter yet, but I estimate it to be putting out about 12 lbs of thrust at full throttle based on others who have similar jets made from similar turbos. I'll try to find some photos of it mounted on the test stand so you can see how it will be mounted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Wow badass. I have always wanted to build a turbine engine. I just haven't had the time. What does it run off of?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
^^^ turbine's are generally pretty lenient when it comes to fuels - real jet fuel is very similar to kerosine (not a refined fuel AT ALL), and the fuel we used on carriers (called JP-5) is no non-volatile you could light a match and throw it in a puddle of the shit, and it wouldn't ignite.
/\/\/\ what he said for the most part. Right now i have it set up for good ol 87 octane, but gimme 10 minutes and i can switch it over to propane (which is what most diy jetbuilders use for fuel). I tried runnin it off of kerosene once, but it was too much for the fuel pump to handle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TougeLabs View Post
Nice project man that something you dont see every day. I would love to see a video of it working. Keep them coming man
so would I. lol. the one time my friends and I got it to run, the turbine wheel decided to start disentigrating (sp?) and we had to shut it down (Need a tachometer badly. jets are like any other engine, they dont like excessive rpms). Currently I am in the process of rebuilding it from the ground up, but its not very high on the list of things to do right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsparc View Post
Dude!!! i was gonna make one of those a long time ago when i was in high school. I had all kinds of CAD drawings for flame chambers and and different nozzle designs.
yeah i have all kinds of formulas and designs for flame tubes, combustors, etc. its crazy, but its fun.

Here are some photos of a jet engine that my friend and i made in less than 8 hours and has absolutely NO moving parts. Its true.

Clowny is offline   Reply With Quote