View Single Post
Old 10-21-2008, 06:47 PM   #641
golfer17
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
golfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nicegolfer17 is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to golfer17
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer17 View Post
YOUR CHASSIS: s14,

WHEELS: Work Emotion CR-Kai, 17x8 +25-f, 17x9 +38-r

TIRES: yokohama avs es100 235/40/17-f, dunlop direzza 255/40/17-r

MISC DETAILS: approx. 350whp, j30 diff. approx. 3100lbs with driver. these tires will hook the power in first gear but only on the best of roads and usually only on a good, hot day. the traction in cool to cold weather is terrible, but they really do well when the temp is above 80 or so and the roads have been heated by the sun.

I have 275/40/17 avon m-tech's and 245/40/17 falken fk450's waiting to go on, and by my measurements the rears should easily fit and the fronts will be as close as i want to get. the suspension is currently tein s-techs and tokico blue struts, but I also have stance gr+ coilovers waiting to go on that I am hoping will give even more tire clearance for future wheel and tire choices.

PURPOSE OF CAR: street, all-around performance

PICTURES: www.cardomain.com/id/golfer17
The coilovers and 275/40/17 rears are now on and at the last second I went with 245/45/17 potenza re760's for the front.

Glad i did the tires with the coilovers, as I think these front tires are a little bit too tall and too wide for a spring and strut combo. Currently the front left rubs in the middle of the plastic when it hits a bump on a fast corner and when I first had them at -2 camber(-1.5 now), there was only a finger width clearance (good enough) between them and the coilover spring. Next time around, I think I will sacrifice some ride quality to go with the low profile 245/40's.

For the rears, they fit quite well, with only slight rubbing around the edge on one side because the suspension is now so low that the subframe is actually leaning slightly to one side or the other depending on how the toe is set (It tends to lean to whichever side the toe is off, or the toe is probably off because of whichever side it leans too; have toe arms ready to install to get more adjustment). I am hoping to help fix this a little with some subframe spacers (just something I've had laying around I need to install) to stiffen things up. Also, I don't think it was rubbing at all when I was at -1.25 camber (at -1 now), so i will probably go back to the sportier -1.25,r/-2,f camber settings. As far as how much room to fit wider tires goes, there is a ton on the inside; makes me wish I had gone with an even higher offset and a wider rim.

Traction? Insane. Of course upgrading to coilovers at the same time probably helped out a ton, but I can't believe how well this thing grips and takes corners now. Straight line? Unbelievable. I can now hook on almost any road, any gear or speed, as long as the temperature is above about 50-60F. And when its colder than that it just spins them a little. Even on high boost! When I'm not even pointed straight!!! I can't wait to get it to the track and see how fast I can pull out of corners now that i can actually give it gas as I'm pulling out of a corner (with the old tires, I had to be pointed straight or in a higher gear, like third!)