View Single Post
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #51
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monooxide View Post
I have a depowered rack and I went one step farther in removing the end seals in the rack.

The car is easier to turn then just a removed belt on the pump or removed pump, but it still takes some effort however it's not NEAR as bad.

I also noticed that it tries to self center much better with the rack depowered.

Also, the people saying that the depowering of the rack removes upwards of 30 pounds are embellishing. I weighed the pump and it was roughly 7-8 pounds, the lines are around 3-4 and the resevoir isnt even 1 pound with fluid weighing maybe 2-3 pounds. So you're looking at 12-15 pounds at most.

Do not do this for reasons regarding weight.

Pros:
-Cleaner Engine Bay
-One less Engine oil
-Less parasitic drag on the engine

Cons:
-Harder to steer than PS enabled racks
-Requires grease maintenance
did you weigh the power steering pump bracket from the motor? hehe.... or is that included with the weighing of the pump that you did?

Plus one for one less oil to worry about. Probably the most pain in the azz oil to deal with for those that have leak problems.
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote