View Single Post
Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
irax
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
irax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfectionirax is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to irax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14 View Post
Would having the VQ in my 95 S14 (OBD I) be illegal?
It really depends on how you go about it. Yes it can be illegal if you do not swap over simple emissions equipment. Under the California A.R.B. mandates you can swap in a newer motor into an older car if you retain the newer emissions. I do not know about other states, but in the automotive industry its like this. And I am putting it very simply, If it is legal in California it is federal legal (aka 50 state legal). If it is Federal Legal it does not mean it is California legal(aka 49 state legal). This only applies to passenger cars though.

Quote:
I would have to wait for the economy to turn around and see the feasiblity to pull of such a swap.
That is part of my concern, I want to know how much of a production I should do initially.

Quote:
I'm sure the physical labor would not be difficult, but wiring would be my main concern outside of initial cost.
Well, I have a good guy that will be figuring the easist way to do it. But honestly if S30 chassis owners can do a vq swap with all the factory wiring, are we just that dumb and lazy? A big problem though is that the wiring pretty much changed from year to year and model to model. But once we have more people doing this there will be more shared information.

Quote:
real off-topic: is that your g/f in your avatar ?
I wish I was old enough to date 16 yearolds. No she isn't