View Single Post
Old 03-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #1454
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxScores View Post
Whats the point of the deadbolt when you can just break the window glass and go in that way?
Wayne (om1kron) had the same statement when I first talked to him about it... Why have any security at all, if your car can just be towed away regardless?

Because it makes it harder to steal. And as skill required to steal it increases, chances that it gets stolen decrease exponentially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazman View Post
What i worry about is a failsafe? What happens if you get a flat battery etc?

I dont know why you didnt use door lock actuators, I had this idea years ago, but never did it for fear of it breaking down.
The actuators are powered by their own circuit, and pulsed by the alarm - they'll still work (although much slower) on just a couple volts, and the alarm has it's own battery backup to make sure the deadbolt circuit gets its pulse.

I have a failsafe in mind that would work 100% of the time and be very secure, but will not be sharing it, except possibly with customers that purchase a kit in the future.

If you've ever actually felt a door lock actuator, you'd know that you could break one by pulling on the door hard enough - they also don't have enough travel to sit back in the quarterpanel and still reach into the door (need about 2" it seems, and that's with quite a bit of cutting).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om1kron View Post
go ahead and do some electrical work under your steering column with your door shut. Especially if your ignition wont start with a screwdriver =)

try opening a door you just shoved a jimmy down the window to pop the locks open for to get into a car without breaking the window, try pushing a car with broken glass somewhere without making yourself noticeable.
Exactly - it's all just levels of deterrence. These cars are incredibly easy to jimmy and hotwire, but there's almost zero chance of being able to hotwire it with the door closed and an alarm starter-kill, much less an ignition/fuel kill switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRas View Post
is that legal for a street and or track car?

seems like it would be dangerous in the event of an accident.. or am I missing something?
If you'd ever been in an accident where the doors have been hit, they don't open anyway

That's why firemen have the "jaws of life", to cut the A pillars and B pillars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onepuff View Post
I don't think they will be in the locked position while the car is being driven so it shouldn't be an issue.
Eh, that too. But even if your doors are locked normally (like all new cars that lock your doors at 10mph+) and you get knocked out - someone can't open the door from the outside.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote