View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 09:51 PM   #109
thx247
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
thx247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SiNFuL
Well i've heard the best way to do the harness is use the seat belt bolts for the bottom connectors. then for the rear is to connect it to the rollcage bar. However, if you dont have a rollcage bar you can buy a guide bar(which doesnt look very safe to me). And the last way, which i was thinking of; is to use the rear seat belt bolts for the backs of the harnesses. Now if i get into a crash w/ a harness i will be stuck, so if i flip, i'm screwed. And if i hit head-on i guess the way the harness is hooked up could give me paralysis. But I dont see how my stock seat belts are much safer. in an accident it will probably have like 2" more slack than the harness(not enough to dodge a roof collapsing. And people get back injuries all the time. Basically, i'll probably get a rollcage like the one s13chica has. But for now i'm gonna hook it up to the stock seat belt points(the best way to do it; because those spots are at least reinforced). If you have any "God damnn you moron" comments feel free to post em as long as you back em up w/ something that might scare me out of doing it. hehe. So do you have pics of those brown seats? i didnt look very close when i got the signal.
-Galen

I have picts...soon I guess. They are dirty cause I'm too lazy to clean, but I think there are no holes atleast. I forget.

Re the harness. Seriously look up the rules and specs for race harnesses. Imo the most important thing in a car is how the driver is protected in the event of a crash. Saving money or doing something half assed when it comes to belts and harnesses imo is never worth it.

Harnesses are setup and designed so that no matter what type of crash, the driver is projected forward against the belts.

There is alot of information out there on how belt tension, slack and other aspects of driver deceleration are critical to survival and minimizing injuries. Ideally the driver does not experince any deceleration, the chassis experinces it for him/her (s13chica). This is one of the reason BMW makes all that big talk about seat belt pre-tensioners, they improve the survivalabiltiy (sp) of the passengers by minimizing passenger movement in a crash.

There is tons of research on this topic I think more people should undergo before making a choice. I think I will be spending atleast a week researching different belt materials and their benifits/risks.
thx247 is offline   Reply With Quote