View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #41
DETT
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
DETT is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESmorz View Post
I love how this turned into a "I hate Supras" thread, but man are they ugly.

Now that that is off my chest, I would like to say I will probably be getting one of those Toyobaru's once it comes out. As long as they dont make it fat and boring by production time.
Not necessarily I hate supra thread, just recognizing that Toyota has a hard time making a "good" looking car, with those terms if the toyobaru the only thing I really hope that retains from the concept is no more carpet, honestly I hate the shit. I hate vacuuming, I hate scrubbing out stains, I hate getting shit caught in it and it turns to an ugly mess. I had a wrangler that I tore the carpet out of and had it rhino lined, I love this just have a hard surface when it gets nasty spray it out and wipe it down, done.

If the Toyobaru turns out a pig I'm tearing it apart, putting in a 6 point cage, tearing out the back seat, and be done with it, no need for useless shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmcdon View Post
To be fair, there aren't a lot of fun cars @ 16k anyhow from any manufacturer.
Unless you consider the Fit to be acceptable.
You also figure in Japan, the taxes are typically higher than the US.
Ppl are probably paying closer to 20-30k for that Yaris/Fit or whatever.

About the acticle:
It didn't differentiate between:

A) Youth are buying other brands other than Toyota.
B) Youth are NOT buying cars period.

So it's really difficult to speculate exactly what the issue is.

But yeah, I would have to say Toyota built more 'fun to drive' cars in the past.
You have to figure a lot of younger drivers don't care about the way a car drives.
They just want to look cool, hence the creation of brands like Scion.
I'm certain that what Toyota's intended demographic.
It be interesting to see if Scion is doing well, and who are the ppl that buy them.

For better or worse, it would seem a lot more ppl actually care about how their cars drive.

Here in Los Angeles, all the slow drivers drive Lexus, or a toyota (prius & camries are the worst offenders).
Toyota has more of less become the new Caddilac.
Even the current lineup of Caddillac is more youth orientated.
You sir have a wonderful point, it seems as of late the automotive market has shifted and the companies true colors have shown, and now that everything is in a recession deeply they are paying dearly with their uninteresting heeps. It's hard to speculate exactly what is going on but one can only hope for a new tuner revolution to spark, and as I see concepts for the new Toyobaru and hopefully a new silvia we may get what we need.
DETT is offline   Reply With Quote