View Single Post
Old 12-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #159
brokeAs240sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
brokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond reputebrokeAs240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Dan MAX USA View Post
oh jeez, or maybe we should make those tabs bolt on
Yes, please! Mine had the same issue (thought it was a redesign, lol).

Anyway, for guys thinking about running it on a ka-t setup.

The cold pipe fits fine for the most part. It's not 100% perfect angle & you will have to mode the radiator hose (add a 34mm adapter in between & reclock it) to make it all fit. A slight redesign in the angle/depth of the cold pipe & it would work perfect; however, you can run the sr pipe. Also, not sure what the sr pipe comes w/ originally, but you'll also want to ask for a 5/8" outer diameter bung for cold side like I did. Because of the angle, I also got a 5/8" plastic elbow from the local auto store (not pictured)

You can see what I'm talking about kind of here (don't mind the text, that's for a write-up I made):

For the cold side, since I'm still currently top-mount, I rigged up my own setup. I think the hot side should fit fine though since the ka-t bottom mount setup puts things relatively in the same position as the sr setup.

I also converted to running an odyssey battery since the optima red top no longer fit.

I can't give you a definitive response difference of just the HMIC install since I also changed over to an UR underdrive pulley, but with those 2 mods combined (stock pulley & s15 sidemount), the response is SUPER AWESOME!!!

I also can't give definitive performance pro's/con's in terms of engine coolant temp since I removed the a/c system & relocated the oil cooler slightly for more air. However, w/ my oil cooler relocated, no a/c, tranny cooler, hmic, and koyo radiator, I was seeing 85-87C after several back-to-back runs @ autox. It would cool down to 80-83C while idling. Same time last year, with a/c condenser, oil cooler mounted in a different spot (less air), koyo, and side mount, I was seeing around 88-90C after several autox runs & it wouldn't get below 85C without opening the hood.

I'm hoping to more thoroughly test this @ autox & hpde's over the next few months as the car continues to get some work done on it.

It's a little scary driving the car @ autox going down the straights and even out of the corners compared to the setup before. Didn't feel or see any noticeable pressure drop/lag going from the smaller sidemount to bigger hmic - definite plus.

Thanks for making great products.