Thread: Gay rights
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2009, 07:23 PM   #214
StaticX27
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
StaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond reputeStaticX27 has a reputation beyond repute
The biggest question I have is why are people bringing religion into this whole thing? Religion doesn't decide right from wrong. Religion doesn't write our legislation. Religious organizations aren't the only ones who can conduct a marriage.

Everyone goes on and on about how immoral, wrong and sinful a gay relationship is, but seriously, who decides that? Isn't this the same type of hate that was going on against every other minority that the majority has hated on since the beginning of time? As far as the state and country is concerned, the gay community (male and female) are just another social group lobbying for rights. You could make them as choice oriented as Environmentalists, or you could compared them to racial equality groups, but the fact is, they are another social group that exists within the country.

As far as the state is concerned, being gay is no different than someone being black, in terms of legislation (not in terms of actuality, obviously). By making it so one social group does not have the same right as another (marriage, in this situation), its textbook inequality. Whether being homosexual is a sin or not is 100% irrelevant as far as law should be concerned (thus the whole idea of separation of church and state). Unfortunately, too many people take the bible as a guideline for being a "good" person. I don't believe in churches, the bible or what some guy in a funny dress preaches about on my day off. Does that mean I can't be a good person because I don't follow a book? I think not. I think the things that make me a good person are determined by the basics of humanity. The basic rule even the constitution of this country was founded upon: Don't do things that would infringe on the happiness of others.

No matter how much money the churches endorse into fighting against gay rights, this whole matter has nothing to do with religion, it's about rights of a social group; nothing more and nothing less. People think that giving gay's the right to marry, but calling it something else is fair. However, that's still acknowledging there's a difference between straight marriage and gay marriage, which comes back to the whole "Separate but equal" clause that existed in anti-african-american legislation. Even then, the supreme court ruled that Separate is not equal, yet we're saying it's okay now? Hypocritical.

Now, that doesn't mean there isn't a reason to oppose same sex marriage. I believe the movie that showed this was "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry," where one guy was attempting to get benefits through gay marriage. These are the types of real issues that would come from allowing same sex marriage, and those are valid points in terms why same sex marriage shouldn't be allowed. But to sit there and say it shouldn't be allowed because you don't agree (which is basically the church's stance) with it is the same hypocritical, close-minded stance that was popular at every single act of segregation we've read about in history books.

People sit there and complain about gay orgies in public, yet no one remembers things like Mardi Gras that happens every year? They complain about Gay parents raising adopted children to be gay, I say that being raised by gay parents would be promoting open-mindedness to that child and teach that child a little thing many people lack; tolerance and acceptance. For a religious organization that preaches about tolerance and understanding of others, those same organizations are so quick to be intolerant of others and enforce their political persuasion. I wonder who's the evil in this situation? Who's oppressing the weak now?

You can put your positive and negative slant on the outcomes however you want to make yourself look better or the other guy worse. In the end, people are people. Straight parents have just a likely to screw up raising a kid as a pair of gay parents. Everyone hates those "flamboyant" gay men going around, like bruce the hair stylist, but think about how many of those guys we know, then compare it to those hyped up alpha-male marines and think about their attitude and how much it can piss you off too. People are people, and the quicker we can learn that and accept it, the faster we'll be able to move on to other things like getting our country out of debt.
StaticX27 is offline   Reply With Quote