View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #1519
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Absolutely, if you have it on a stand, I say do as much as you can possibly afford.
Solid advice for sure. I've never bothered with a new chain though...I mean if you're dealing with some abused car based upon other parts of the motor it may not be a bad issue, but it takes quite a bit to wear the chains out. That tensioner has a TON of 'slack' take up ability

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspaeth View Post
Yes I believe stock valvetrain is fine with 10.5 mm cams, however, you may not want to rev it higher than the OEM redline (I think it's 7400-7500).

Might want to wait to hear someone else's opinion. Actually, with higher lift cams than stock, but stock springs/retainers, you may actually want to rev LESS high....not 100 certain though.
There are many factors involving 'safe' limits of cams, not so much the hard numbers. Ramp rate, lobe design, etc etc all go into it. For example: With JWT cams (like the S3) it has a 0.442" lift (11.2ish mm)...and they are plenty safe on stock valvetrains to 7850 (where they set their limit at).

S4's have a 0.464" lift (11.7mm) and they too are safe to 7850 on stock stuff. Crazy huh?

But The C1 cams at .476" lift (12mm) require springs.

Just some food for though. The crappy thing about any cam in any motor is that is a HUGE discrepancy between measurements, lobe design, and general R and D. Sure a cam may make power, but being safe, and harmonically sound are very different. I mean, there is just TONS of engineering involved with cams it's rediculous.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote