View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #420
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Ok, time for the Driftworks criticism...

It seems that what they did was simply move the hub mounting points up somewhere around 1.5"-2". All the other suspension mounting dimensions look to be exactly the same as stock, with the notable exception of the front tie rod mounting points. In the rear that is probably pretty close to ideal as long as your coilovers have enough adjustment to compensate. By "ideal" I am referring to the method with which the roll center was corrected, not necessarily the amount. In the front though I think that method may cause problems. Remember that in the front the limiting suspension travel factor is the wheelwell, not the suspension itself (ESPECIALLY on s-13's). With these knuckles your front suspension has between 1.5"-2" or so MORE bump travel at the SAME ride heighth. If you DON'T have 1.5"-2" MORE wheelwell clearence, you are likely in trouble.
I'm pretty sure the wheel well clearance issue would only be an issue if you were already bottoming out your shocks at the ride height you were at. Also, you are going to have more roll resistance when you raise your roll center, so this will decrease the likelihood of you running into interference issues during bump.

I'm most interested to see what the rear looks like at ride height with the knuckles.

So here's the issue I'm having. Roll center drops slower in the rear, but how is it determined? Don't the other arms have an affect on roll center location?

How is roll center measured in the rear on a Nissan multilink? I've been searching google for like 20 minutes and haven't been able to find anything except stuff about double wishbones and solid axles.

Also, for the front suspension, lets not forget that the angle of the tension rod has an affect on the amount of anti-dive the car has. Anti-dive obviously affects weight transfer and it's speed, which affects front and rear traction under braking.

From what I understand, drop knuckles will increase dive some, which should help front traction during trail braking, and help with initiating a drift using the brakes.

Also, found some good info here, cool pics of some V8 supercar suspension.

The Roll Center Thread (bump steer too) - Hardtuned.net - Page 3

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.

Last edited by PoorMans180SX; 02-01-2010 at 05:42 PM..
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote