View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #424
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Ah, I can see what you mean in mmdb's case, because he can't mess with the front height much.

But in general, if you're bottoming the tire, you should get higher spring rates or anti-roll bars. Knuckles can only help with people with height adjustable coils and low low ride height.
No...

If you are bottoming the tire you SHOULD either:

1: tub your fenderwells (if allowed)

2: re-adjust your coilovers so that the shock bottoms on the bump stop just before the tire bottoms in the wheelwell. This is only possible if you have dual heighth adjustable coilovers and they have enough adjustment to compensate. Really this SHOULD be done whenever installing any coilovers just to be sure.

3: If your coilovers don't have enough adjustment you need to "re-engineer" them so that the shock bottoms just before the tire. This can be done with spacers on the upper mounts, adjustable upper mounts, thicker bump stops, or heavy fabrication.

I really don't like what they did in the front. I am quite suspicious that those front knuckles are one of those parts that work great if the rest of the car is setup for them, but not so great for the rest of us. Changing the distance between the hub mounting point and the shock mouting point is just not a great idea with as little fenderwell clearence as the car has. Every single aftermarket coilover is designed with that particular measurement in mind and we don't have the fender clearence to accomodate in all cases.

Once again, suspension "tuning" is about the whole package. To do it RIGHT the everything has to work together. Just because a part works badass for someone else doesn't mean it will for you.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote