View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #429
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
I still don't get why you're going on about it. If your tires are bottoming out in the well your body is rolling too much for your ride height.

There are many ways to fix this. Yours are some, and increasing the roll couple is another. You can't say I'm wrong.

I can for absolute positive certain tell you that you and anyone else who follows the line of thinking that you describe above is 100% for sure WRONG.

First of all body roll is not the only thing that can cause the suspenion to bottom. Hitting bumps and curbs (like at buttonwillow) compresses the suspension as well you know. Changing the roll couple doesn't affect how much the suspension compresses over bumps and such either, that's all spring rate.

Second, your suspension should be designed and set-up so that your tire never even gets the chance to touch the wheelwell under any conditions ideally. You always want your shock to bottom on the bumpstop before your tire bottoms in the wheelwell. Since our front wheelwell clearence is so limited you really have to split hairs and that will result in occasional light rubbing under extreme circumstances. That is simply unavoidable because of how close everything is.

It's really not that complicated... If your tire is hitting the fenderwell significantly, then your coilovers are either mis-adjusted or mis-engineered. Sure you can screw with the roll couples, spring rates, and swaybars to help, but that isn't actually solving anything. It is the automotive equivalent of trying to use a band-aid to stop arterial bleeding. Changing your roll stiffness to limit fender rubbing issues will certainly have un-wanted side-effects, and will only work marginally. Simply setting up your coilovers CORRECTLY has no negative side effects and will work correctly.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote