View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #91
adamer
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (8)
adamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybert View Post
I agree with Colin. An important part of learning is riding in cars with people who are better drivers than you. Letting instructors drive your car is also a good thing because you can mimic their techniques and you know it will work in your car because they just did it in your car.

Occasionally, instructors like myself sometimes have a difficult time drifting student's cars the first lap or two due to improper setup of the car. I can usually give people advice on how to better set up their cars for better consistency especially if it's s-chassis related. That is also another good reason to let an instructor drive your car.

I even drive other staff members cars to help them try and diagnose what's wrong with their setup. There is always room for improvement. I remember letting Ryan Tuerck drive my car before I rebuilt it from the bottom up when he came out to one of our ASB's and it gave me a better idea on how to setup my car when he gave me his feedback. I was still stuck in the lower is cooler trend and he noticed that my front tires were bottoming out under transition at Balcony but since I had grown so accustomed to it, it felt normal to me. I was supposed to drive his FD s13 coupe later on so that I could feel what a well setup s13 felt like but I never got around to it because him and I were so hung over and we both got a late start the next day at HTM. We had time for a nice tandem battle where my car got smoked because it didn't drift as fast and I finally realized the difference between a "cool" drift car and a well setup FD s13 is like.
listen and learn.
having someone help you with your car setup/technique who knows what the hell they are doing is priceless.
adamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links