View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #23
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
I got linked this thread, and feel that I can actually add something here lol. I've done quite a few RB swaps, and did the whole "legit RB25 build" on my S14.

First off, if someone hasn't done an RB swap, their opinion matters about 10x less than someone who has. There are intricacies that you just know about until you see them.

Secondly, if you're not doing an SR, it means that you want more... more power, prestige, whatever. That means you're willing to invest more.... more money, time, effort? Point is, do it right, start with the right stuff, and try to be legit.

1) Make sure the motor you buy runs... good compression across all cylinders (and leakdown if possible), turbo not blown, and starts (so good CAS, igniter, MAF, etc).

2) Replace the water pump (RB26 N1), oil pump (OEM RB25), idler pulley, tensioner pulley (both OEM), timing belt (Power Enterprise or Greddy), and spark plugs (OEM 300zx - they're heat range 6 NGK's). This will run about $500, and as long as you did step 1, guarantee a reliable motor.

3) Get a decent mount kit. I used the Ruckus/Zerolift kit, and loved it. Actually still have it, and will sell it with my driveshaft eventually.

4) You'll need a driveshaft. I used Spicer 1330 universals and 3" OD thin-wall steel, and it was BEAST, definitely ready for big power - also not much heavier (and tons smaller, and quite a bit cheaper) than aluminum. Aluminum's lighter by a small margin, but larger and more expensive.

5) WIRING - if your wiring harness is in great shape, this part's easy, just send it to someone who does RB25 swap wiring. If it's not perfect, most hack job wiring guys won't want to mess with it, or won't get it right. I did a full tuck/loom with Mil-spec components on my swap, but I do regular old swap wiring for very reasonable prices all the time.

6) Intercooler/radiator - most guys want to go with a Greddy knock-off intake mani so they can run a front mount, and I think that's an alright idea... that's what I did as well. Then you'll need a bigger 2- or 3-core radiator and the front mount kit, then radiator hoses (use the Skyline ones and cut them) and probably have to mess with the IC pipes to get everything to fit perfectly.

If that seems like a lot now, before you've even started, you need to take it to a shop and pay a bit more. If that seems doable, start looking for stuff and just know that you still might end up taking it to someone to finish lol.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com