View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #1538
Lovely Idol Inc.
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (1)
Lovely Idol Inc. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lovely Idol Inc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontxploitme View Post
i have a question for all the painters on here. my uncle said he'll paint my car for me. he's not professional but he used to paint lowriders and he did a pretty good job. he told me i just need to get the paint and an hvlp gun. but i don't know how much paint to get? this is roughly what i'm looking at

2 coats of primer
3-4 coats of paint
3-4 coats of clear

on an s13 hatch

can somebody sum those numbers up for me in qts? for example how many qts of primer and how many qts of paint & clear will i need for the job?

thanks in advance

Get a gallon of everything.

Even though you may think you need primer, you probably only need sealer.

Remember, primer is a FILLER, and sealer is to help level the panel for the base coat and is sprayed about 20 minutes before any base coat.

If your car is completely stock body, but you are painting everything but the door jams (which I suggest you go ahead and paint them as well) you will need a gallon of clear, a gallon of base and reducer (unless you are using a waterborne system or pre reduced system) and depending on the body work done or not done anywhere from 2 quarts to a gallon of sealer.

You can always use primer as a filler as well as the sealer pre base coat, but you will want to make sure you don't sand through any of it so you don't get hazing or inconsistent coverage over the car. This is why I typically will seal everything I paint, helps everything come out the same and almost perfect.
Lovely Idol Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote