View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #55
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
I have read parts, enough to see that her writing style and ability aren't up to par, in my opinion.

Not to mention the very basis of the story is lame. Again, in my opinion.

But in a direct quote from an excellent writer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen King
“People are attracted by the stories, by the pace and in the case of Stephenie Meyer, it’s very clear that she’s writing to a whole generation of girls and opening up kind of a safe joining of love and sex in those books. It’s exciting and it’s thrilling and it’s not particularly threatening because they’re not overtly sexual. A lot of the physical side of it is conveyed in things like the vampire will touch her forearm or run a hand over skin, and she just flushes all hot and cold. And for girls, that’s a shorthand for all the feelings that they’re not ready to deal with yet.”

“Both Rowling and Meyer, they’re speaking directly to young people. … The real difference is that Jo Rowling is a terrific writer and Stephenie Meyer can’t write worth a darn. She’s not very good.
Exactly, Meyer has written a "high class" trashy novel. Honestly, if it weren't for the movies, I'd expect to see her books at the end of the check out lanes in the super market, where lonely women pick up all their literature. So sit back in you rocking chair, while 23 cats run around the room, and read about how a "vampire" can make you feel like a woman should.

Now, Anne Rice Vamps? That's a differnet story.

I'm sure plenty of people would want to join that lifestyle.
There are still far more drawbacks to living forever, and only by night and blood, then there are positives, which she conveyed very accuately in her best book; "Interview with a Vampire". Other than that her writing isn't all that great either, but at least her characters aren't sparkly.