View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #1
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Painting my Car and I need some help!

Ok, so here's the deal. I've been working on the body work and paint on my Kouki for a while and I finally got around to shooting some color on Sunday but we ran into some issues. First of all, these are the steps I've been through:
1. Blocked car with 180
2. Fixed dents and dings
3. Sprayed thick coats of high build primer
4. Blocked car with 180 again
5. Sprayed more primer
6. Blocked car with 320
7. Blocked car with 400
8. cleaned the whole car with wax and grease remover
9. Tacked the whole car

Then on Sunday we started shooting color. We got around 3 good solid coats of color on the car but started noticing quite a bit of trash in the paint. I decided not to clear coat on Sunday because of the trash in the base coat and we've started to wet sand out the trash with 800 grit.
So here's my questions for you body and paint guys. The paint is a metallic blue, but since we are not actually getting into any of the color do I really need to re coat everything? Someone told me I should repray the entire car with a tack coat and then a cover coat, before I start shooting clear. Does that sound correct? Reason I ask, is because I only have about a quart of base left which mixes 1:1. Everything was painted but my front bumper and I really don't have the money to go back and buy more paint. Do you think the 1/2 gallon of sprayable paint will cover the front bumper and give me enough paint to lay 2 really light coats of base on the entire car so I can clear? Can I reduce it more than the 1:1 or will that make my paint look weird? What should I do?

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links