View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #93
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
this guy is a wonderful welder

Hardly....

i agree sam. if you're going this route, you had better set aside some money to have them xray'ed as an integrity check, possibly send them out for re-forging? i wouldnt feel comfortable just riding on welded wheels
It would be more costly to have a CWI x-ray the welds....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
i dunno about you

but racing is not as harsh as normal street driving

street driving typically involves massive potholes and can often involve neglect, to the point where people drive shit with little or no air in their tires.

when something is welded, its the seam around the weld that is brittle and can break.

i am not saying the work isnt good or that its not reliable. i am simply saying, what cost to this risk? personally, i'de prefer getting the proper wheel from the get-go and calling it a day. but hey, to each his own. its cool stuff though. but 140mph with a set of welded wheels? dunno about that
It only becomes brittle if it was welded incorrectly. Or if it required post heat treatment and didn't receive any.

Why would you be doing 140mph on the street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
I know what you mean, but 37 years of doing it, he says never had an issue, it's when you go to a shitty welder that you run into issues. if it's a proven company then it should be trustworthy.
If the weld is good, it should actually make the wheel stronger at the point of the weld.
Similar to your bones, when you break a bone, the body fills the crack in with more bone, and it makes the bone stronger.
This is true. But only when it's welded correctly with the correct prep, technique and any post welding treatment (If required).
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote