View Single Post
Old 06-13-2011, 01:40 AM   #19
S14Driftr91
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (26)
S14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to allS14Driftr91 is a name known to all
Its been a couple weeks since a new update but I have been making some progress! As the car went back into the garage we put her back on the jack stands and starting taking apart the front subframe.

Once the subframe was out of the way it was time to clean the bay and fix up some rust. I started by removing unnecessary brackets such as the OEM air box mount and battery tray. I first drilled out the spot welds, after the bracket was removed I then went over the spot with a wire wheel, cleaning everything.

I then tacted up the holes... wind kept blowing into the garage thus the shit welds and it doesnt help that they kept traveling since the metal is so thin

After the brakets were removed my dad an I focused on repairing the strut towers. The passenger side had hole on the front side and the driver side had holes on both the front and rear of the tower.

Passenger side strut tower

Driver side strut tower (front)

Driver side strut tower (rear)

We planned to cut out the rusted areas and made custom pieces to fit in using 16g sheet metal.

To cut out the pieces we used a die grinder with a cut-off wheel.

After we took some measurements we test fitted them in.

After we got the placement and fitment we were looking for we then drilled holes for the spot welds.

All welded up !

The same process was used for the other 2 holes too.

Here's my dad welding up the front of the driver side strut tower.

To bring down the welds we then hit it the grinder.

After all the new patches were finished up I painted over them with two coats of POR-15. When the POR was almost dry I sprayed a light coat of primer over the spots.

Last edited by S14Driftr91; 07-08-2011 at 10:59 PM..
S14Driftr91 is offline   Reply With Quote