View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #122
ronmcdon
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
ronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfectionronmcdon is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS14 View Post
I would place college degrees in the same category of scams as I would place cable tv packages. You get you you need out of it but 85% of what your paying for goes to the garbage and you don't ever use so it's a big waist of money. Nothing better then specialized courses or 2 year programs that teach you only what you need to know for that specific career
While I would disagree with 85% mark, I do think a lot of the general ed courses & absurd cost of textbooks are def a 'rip-off'. In the end, maybe 2 and half years of the four years you spend are really dedicated towards something relevant to your bachelors. The same could probably be said for much of the time we spend in high school, esp the senior year.

Getting a master's degree is generally a whole lot more focused however. Working on my master's right now, there is hardly enough bullshit courses, other than a 'cultural diversity' class (lost count on how many times Ive had to take that.) I feel like my time and money is getting what seems to be a more worthwhile ed. Still, I probably couldn't get there without my bachelors.

The ed system isn't a scam, but it there is a lot of inefficiency and profiteering. There's a lot of room for improvement.
ronmcdon is offline   Reply With Quote